Sound Devices 664

Brian Maier

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Paul. For the "ENG mode" display, I know about the second screen with direct, X1,X2 and returns but I would like to have a big stéréo out meter and maybe small meter for return A only...

At the Gotham seminar, I asked Jon whether it would be possible to have user selectable meter views. He mentioned that he thought that that could be easily implemented through a software update, but would look into it.

I know that for myself, I would love to just have armed ISO tracks and a mono mix on screen.

So far, I'm incredibly happy with the build quality of my 664. I have been on a shoot where we haven't done any work that required leaving the cart behind, so I can't say I'm able to chime in on real-world usage yet. The architecture seems straight forward enough so far though. It feels like an SD machine!

For MY work, there are some tweaks that I would love to see, but considering the newness of the machine I don't know that it is appropriate to air them out in public here quite yet. Bearing in mind that I took delivery of one of the first retail units, I feel that it's already a very reliable machine.

Surely there must be more new 664 users out there by now!

I spoke to my dealer earlier this week and he said they received 3 units in and shipped them to customers immediately - I believe he said this was the week before. He also mentioned that most all the other dealers received a couple units as well. So they're out there!

Come on guys. Give us some more reports.

Tom

I asked this earlier in the thread, and going into the 664 link I/O will go to the stereo bus, but not as ISOs. I assume going into the digital ins would take up a couple of your 6 ISO tracks.

E.

Scott Farr actually was able to get 8 iso's doing this. What you need to do is route your x1-2 to be your mix tracks instead and rename your LR mix accordingly (label them as you would an iso).

Surely there must be more new 664 users out there by now!

I spoke to my dealer earlier this week and he said they received 3 units in and shipped them to customers immediately - I believe he said this was the week before. He also mentioned that most all the other dealers received a couple units as well. So they're out there!

Come on guys. Give us some more reports.

Tom

I've mostly been reporting things on SD's forum.

664 was not designed around sfx recording needs. Don't look for a Philips head screwdriver to screw a flat-head screw. .

I know ;) But to have a separate recorder for just that is a waste. Apart from that, if you do documentary work you (or at least I) also use it for recording ambiences and FX. And how about (live) music etc. 80Hz is just too high in some cases.

I know ;) But to have a separate recorder for just that is a waste. Apart from that, if you do documentary work you (or at least I) also use it for recording ambiences and FX. And how about (live) music etc. 80Hz is just too high in some cases.

The simple answer is that the 664 might not be what you need then. There has to be a reason the 788T still costs a bit more, and the 744T is still in production at the price it had last year. They offer features this mixer (with recording) doesn't.

- FYI for those that demand Mix tracks to be #1 in the order - Mix L/R and Aux 1/2 tracks are by default at the bottom of track grouping of a WAV Poly file (13-16), or far right on sound report. Not sure if the order of things can be changed with WaveAgent, but honestly who's usually got the time for that (not I).

- FYI for those that demand Mix tracks to be #1 in the order - Mix L/R and Aux 1/2 tracks are by default at the bottom of track grouping of a WAV Poly file (13-16), or far right on sound report.

Hi Zack

Mix tracks L and R are tracks 1 and 2 in the wav file. Aux tracks are the last two. I'm curious how you determined that L/R are 13/14.

Paul

Hi Zack

Mix tracks L and R are tracks 1 and 2 in the wav file. Aux tracks are the last two. I'm curious how you determined that L/R are 13/14.

Paul

Correct (my bad), L/R are 1/2 tracks at top, but for those that make mono mix tracks on the aux 1 or 2, they're unable to be positioned where desired, unless there's a method I'm unaware of?

I found that with tone activated and set to L Ident, the left chan pulses as normal but you hear steady tone in both ears. I've gone through the the headphone output settings and nothing. I've listened to playback and I hear the pulse in the left headphone as usual.

Maybe a glitch? Otherwise, I love it!

I found that with tone activated and set to L Ident, the left chan pulses as normal but you hear steady tone in both ears. I've gone through the the headphone output settings and nothing. I've listened to playback and I hear the pulse in the left headphone as usual.

Maybe a glitch? Otherwise, I love it!

Yes I noticed this as well when I played around with the machine. I think senator was suggesting that you report the glitch to SD.

Hi,

what a question, but can somebody give me an advice how to use the LCD protective cover? ;))

If you're asking about the one provided, you just slip one edge under the lip of the mixer shell (top or bottom first), then slightly bend the cover until you can get the opposite side of the cover under the other side of the mixer shell.

I took ownership of a SD664 today, and all in all enjoy it immensely. It's self explanatory, the menu system much more intuitive and quicker than the 788, and runs much cooler than one, too. I'm in love.

A few things, however, surprised me…

• When powered externally with int batteries kept, and ext power is lost, it will not switch to int batteries automatically. That's so basic, that surprised me. Sure the 552 won't do that either, but it's a machine that records and life swapping would have been a great addition. Not a deal breaker, for sure, but something I would really love to see added. [Edit: Just found out the 664 hot swaps when in record mode, just not when in standby. My point remains, I wish there was the option of it switching to int batts on standby hot swaps as well.]
  • Getting to the TC jam menu takes too many scrolls and clicks. I have to hit Menu, scroll down, push, scroll down, push. That should be a shortcut.
  • Track naming, likewise, is too cumbersome. I'm so surprised I can't edit track names in the pre-fade menu, instead have to hit two buttons simultaneously, scroll, push, scroll... I mean, that's something that could really be made easier. In fact, that's the one thing I actually had to open the user manual for... it's not self explanatory or easy. I do love the addition of track names in the main screen, that's killer.

Also very much enjoy the ease of adding inputs to the AUX track. That'll be a killer feature for ie. IFB usage.

Yeah, that's what happens, Johnpaul. It'll keep recording with int power, and as soon as you press stop it will shut down (unless you manually switch to INT power). That's actually almost all we'd ever need, but I still think the option would be nice (since it's obviously technically possible) to switch to INT power automatically on stand by. I understand some people would like the current way, since it would allow the 664 to be turned off via a mains switch (ie. BDS switch).

Sound Devices 664 - Firmware v1.02

New

• Take and Scene name changes of current take are rippled through the next take.
  • Select encoder will act as a space insert in applicable menus, such as notes, track names, headphone presets, etc..

Changes

• Loading Factory Default settings now has confirmation popup.
  • RTN will now cancel PFL. PFL will temporarily override RTN program when PFL is active.
  • Tone will now latch if held for 1 second as opposed to 2 seconds.

Fixes

• Various screen drawing improvements.
  • Lock up caused by rapidly activating/deactivating tone Handling of CF and SD transfer errors.
  • Scene Increment shortcut will no longer activate scene increment popup when disabled in the setup menu.
  • COM program is now sent to right headphone program when COM is active.
  • Rare MP3 playback bug where the file wouldn't playback from the Meters page.
  • External U-Bits are now jammed when jamming RX timecode.
  • Input Metering Activity when the inputs are OFF.