Sound Devices PIX 260i Product Information

jon_tatooles

I have been planning on building a cart around the PIX260 since it was announced.

They way I see it, eventually the DIT position and the production mixer position will at some point merge. Recording video and audio, together, on the same device eliminates timecode and sync issue. I think this is the first step toward that merge.

Hey CCalandro,

I've though about what you just mentioned pretty extensively lately and I don't find that merge to be very practical. Though the gear allows for it; what about the brain, effort and attention? Do DITs end up wrangling the sound by adding an arsenal of mics and wireless and a digital mixing console to their kit? And then somehow find time to monitor the quality of audio? Good sound (mix or isos) don't magically end up on tracks on a fancy little machine.

Do we as sound mixers start transcoding and building our expertise in video?

I see what you're saying and I'm on the pre-order list for a 260i. I see the potential on this machine for both us and VRT and DIT. I see the equipment being smaller and more powerful, I just don't see the jobs merging.

-Devendra

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't look at it as replacing what the DIT does.  You can have a Pix 260i (Or 2 of them) on your cart to basically replace your sound recorder.  It will record up to 32 tracks of audio every time you hit the record button.  But it also does another thing that is of great value to the producer.   It eliminates the need to sync up dailies and create proxies for editorial.  The DIT sill handles all the color LUT creation and aid to the DP by providing High quality HD monitoring and scopes for exposure.  You would just take 2 feeds from the DIT station of the color corrected HD video from both A and B cameras thereby providing you with 2 clear monitors on your cart which you probably are doing now. Except at the end of the day you hand in the 2 hard drives with all the sound and Video Proxies all synced and ready for edit.

For this the producer may pay an additional fee for the the machines because they will save them hours in post.  And if you are rolling 2  Pix 260s for A and B cameras you would have a full backup of all tracks in a redundant machine.  (and you could record to an external HD on one of them as well for on set archive)

already can hear producers asking: can you send 8 or 16 your iso tracks directly to this machine on set so we don't need spend time to re-sync them in the post.....

time for a 8 tracks wireless link ? 

Time for recorders with Ethernet Dante.

Cm you are thinking of it backwards.

What happens when an automix function gets incorporated into something like the pix260?

The new device ends up with the DIT

Eliminating the audio professional has already happened in live tv. It's only a matter of time before it gets to production as well.

Some pretty amazing possibilities with this new machine.

Would love to see a shot of the audio only mode screen. 

Hooking up a 01V96 via Dante with the 260i would yield a very capable mixer recorder package.

and being able to trigger the record function of the pix via a portable device ("Movie Slate" app Sound Dept mode for example) would be great.

Can't wait to see how fellow JWSound members start integrating this into there setup. I'm sure someone will find a use for this in a completely new way no one at Sound Devices ever expected!

"Can't wait to see how fellow JWSound members start integrating this into there setup. I'm sure someone will find a use for this in a completely new way no one at Sound Devices ever expected!"

A little presumptuous, don't you think, that Sound Devices hasn't thought about all the possibilities for this product --- they are pretty smart people after all. 

This thing is an amazing achievement.   The only part I'm not sure about is the cabled feed from a camera to a "sound" cart as part of the setup (where the Pixie is recording both sound and picture).  It seems like we are working towards eliminating cables, esp between camera and sound, as much as possible?   But some interesting new possibilities for sure.

philp

A little presumptuous, don't you think,

Not at all.

I just know how resourceful sound mixers can be when trying to use gear.

Sort of like the Lectro Venue Field Unit.

Initially Lectro only released the rackmount version but it was due to some inventive sound mixers (in Toronto I believe) that it was repurposed and modified to be used in the field and Lectro subsequently released the field version.

I'm sure someone is modifying a Petrol bag as we speak, to be able to fit a pix into it for a portable recorder. lol.

• 2 months later...

Question (and production workflow scenario)

Mixer: Sonosax SX-ST8D

Channels: 10 (8 Iso, L/R mix)

From mixer: 8 direct outputs (pre-fader)

To 260i: 8 analog line-level inputs on DB-25 (the iso tracks) and the L/R mix to analog line-level on XLR.

Question: With that routing the 260i on Ch1 and Ch2 found the L/R mix or the 1,2 pre-fade iso?

Thanks

From the manual:

XLR (1-2)
The XLR balanced inputs accept line-level signals. These inputs are shared with Channels 1 and 2 of 
DB25 Analog Audio Input connector. Channels 1 and 2 of this connector are summed with channels 
1 and 2 of the DB25 connector, respectively.
DB25 ( 1-8 )
Eight analog, line-level inputs are provided on the DB25 Analog Audio Input connector. This connector is wired in the Tascam fashion (see Connector Pin Assignments). Channels 1 and 2 of this connector 
are summed with channels 1 and 2 XLR Analog Audio Inputs, respectively.

That's no answer to my confusion question. :~P

According with what you are post from RTFM:

ISO 1 going to TRACK 1

ISO 2 going to TRACK 2

etc

And the L/R mix (on XLR)?

You can assign the ISO 1 to TRACK 3 to leave a space for L/R mix (on Track 1, Track 2)?

It is an answer to your question, you cannot assign what audio comes in on XLR 1 and 2 and inputs 1 and 2 on the DB25 to different tracks because the audio coming into these inputs is summed together. 

If you put L and R from your mixer into the XLR's, and your ISOs 1-8 into the DB25, on whatever track you assigned XLR 1 to you would get a mix of your L signal and your first ISO. Same for R and ISO 2.

Tracks would look like this:

1: L and ISO1

2: R and ISO 2

3. ISO3

4. ISO 4

5. ISO 5

and so on.

If you could send your L and R via AES, you would be able to separate them.

Hi Vasileios, Justin is addressing the issue that the PIX260i only has 8 analog inputs, not 10... the XLR inputs are shared with the DB-25 inputs 1/2 so there is no way that you can get 8 ISO and 2 mix unless you come in some other format, such as AES/EBU for the mix - for example.  There is no advanced routing table that you are asking about.  You can only set input 1-8 to on off, line, AES/HDMI, SDI, or Dante.  Inputs 9-16 off, line, AES/HDMI, SDI, etc.. for input 17 to 32.

If your Sonosax has the A/D conversion board, you could set input 1-8 for AES and send the mix to 1/2.  Input 3-8 would not be record enabled.  Inputs 9-16 would be set for line input and would be your ISOs.

The only way to get more advanced routing would be to send all you inputs to a Dante device, such as a computer running the Dante virtual sound card and then set the inputs for the PIX to Dante to receive this routed matrix.

**EDIT** Matt Meyer came in and mentioned that you can route hardware inputs to track inputs, my initial perusal of the manual didn't seem to indicate that capability to me.  My answer above is not completely correct in that respect, although it is correct (as well as Justin) that you are limited to 8 analog inputs only.