AA battery tester

Ty Ford

I've recently been using a bunch of batteries, mostly AA, and know they aren't fully used. Sure, they'll measure 1.5 V DC but I don't have a way to measure how much stuff each one has. Is there a tester that does this or should I just consider them spent

Thanks,

Ty Ford

I use a battery tester that I bought many years ago that gives me quite a nice large voltage scale and I go through a bunch and make a slightly arbitrary decision at what voltage I'll keep them and what voltage I'll chuck'em, nothing very precise about it.

Like 1.2 chuck, 1.3 keep and then I use these for less critical things that are easy to monitor, like my bicycle lights etc.

I almost bought one of those ZTS testers a few years ago. I didn't because they didn't have the exact tester I was hoping for.. one that could test NiMH, standard alkaline, and lithium AAs plus 9volts, lithium and standard. I emailed them and asked if it were possible but they did not have any interest.

The military version does all of those but I was hoping for a mini size and the mini price..

Could be a good stocking stuffer!

Derek H: " the exact tester I was hoping for.. but they did not have any interest. "

because businesses cannot make any money custom designing/building/selling/supporting individually made specialty specified products at the price you want them for...

haven't you noticed that with a lot of your other "suggestions" ??

Radio Shack sells a little sliding-contacter meter for something like $8 that puts a small load on the battery too. It has a sweep needle gauge that you can make your own arbitrary decision about what is good / bad for you. It also tests 9v batteries.

Found the thing:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3825537

Keep in mind, even with a tester with a built in load, on a NiMh battery it will only tell you that the battery is either 100% discharged or it is between full charge and 99% discharged. In other words, there are two possibilities:  the battery is dead or you have no idea how much charge is remaining.

Best Regards,
Larry Fisher
Lectrosonics

Tecnec is part of the Markerterk family but their prices are higher than Markerteks.

Eric

Yes indeed Eric. Tower Products, in Saugerties NY (close to Woodstock). Tower also acquired Sescom after the passing of Frank Miller a few years ago. I am an acquaintance of Tower/Markertek's owner, who is a very nice guy as well.

Derek H: " the exact tester I was hoping for.. but they did not have any interest. "

because businesses cannot make any money custom designing/building/selling/supporting individually made specialty specified products at the price you want them for...

haven't you noticed that with a lot of your other "suggestions" ??

Wait.. did Mike just pounce on me because I called the manufacturer? Now I'm confused.