Jump to content

Worth it to keep CMIT5u once I have superCMIT?


Phantompwr
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm planning to get the superCMIT after hearing Simon Hayes rave about it in an interview. My plan is to sell my 2 year old CMIT5u to offset the cost since I assume I wouldn't use it much if I have the super, but before I do anything I was wondering if anyone here might give me a reason I should hang on to it. Just for reference, I also own an MKH-416 and I have a CMC5/41 and an MKH-50 so I would still have other backup Mics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JonG said:

Not worth it. You can sell it to me if you want. I guess the market value would be around $900 now with depreciation ;)

including any accessories you may have for it...

Well, actually.... now that the mini is out the value has fallen so low that I have started a recycling program for the regular CMIT5U. Please send any unused ones to me (note: I don't charge a recycling fee, but you have to pay for shipping).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The CMIT5U has a noticeably lower noise floor than the super cmit2u in on both processed and unprocessed channels, so would be a better choice where the processed channel wouldn't be used 

I think in conditions where I'll want the noise cancelling the self noise would be the least of my problems, but that's definitely something to think about


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, actually.... now that the mini is out the value has fallen so low that I have started a recycling program for the regular CMIT5U. Please send any unused ones to me (note: I don't charge a recycling fee, but you have to pay for shipping).

Hmm, I guess I could just sell it for the scrap metal value ;-)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Richard Thomas said:

The CMIT5U has a noticeably lower noise floor than the super cmit2u in on both processed and unprocessed channels, so would be a better choice where the processed channel wouldn't be used 

 

4 hours ago, Matthias Richter said:

as said in another thread: if you are planning to use the unprocessed ch often you still gonna need the 5U. The SuperCmit is just not usable in a quiet location with low level dialog.

Greetings, You guys are quickly losing me on this one. The comment that the 5 is quieter than the 2 is this a spec that you read or just your ears?

And for what it's worth, the 2u apparently eats 8 times more power than the 5u, if both my math, and Schoeps specs are correct. 

Sincerely, Martin 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Greetings, You guys are quickly losing me on this one. The comment that the 5 is quieter than the 2 is this a spec that you read or just your ears?
And for what it's worth, the 2u apparently eats 8 times more power than the 5u, if both my math, and Schoeps specs are correct. 
Sincerely, Martin 


Yeah I looked up the specs and didn't see a noticeable difference in self noise between the two on paper. I'm definitely getting the 2u so I'll be able to compare, but I think if I can get a decent price for the 5u I will sell.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought my SuperCmit and thought I would sell one of my Cmit5Us because the Super is a "normal" Cmit too. Just on paper.

After listen (with my ears) to the Super and fighting the noise floor in some quiet scenes I had to keep the 5Us. Because if I need 2 Booms I want 2 identical mics.

Now I combine either the 5U with my Cedar or I´ll go (rare) for the Super (echoey, loud, noisy scene / location).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Matthias Richter said:

I bought my SuperCmit and thought I would sell one of my Cmit5Us because the Super is a "normal" Cmit too. Just on paper.

After listen (with my ears) to the Super and fighting the noise floor in some quiet scenes I had to keep the 5Us. Because if I need 2 Booms I want 2 identical mics.

Now I combine either the 5U with my Cedar or I´ll go (rare) for the Super (echoey, loud, noisy scene / location).

Matthias, Maybe your super needs repair? I would ask Schoeps.

Sincerely, Martin 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Supers are hissy It is a quite well known fact. This is not a fault, they just are. I too ended up keeping my regular CMITS because of this. In the end I have pretty much given up on my Supers, I now use Neumann KM81D's, which I am loving.

Kindest, sb

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Matthias Richter said:

in fact I did send it back to Schoeps because of it. "Within specs" was the reply.

Matthias, Hmm, Out of curiosity, have you ever checked to see how much wattage it is pulling? That would likely not tell us anything, but if it was not real close to what it should be, I would want to know why. Also, I would like to see what you're mic sounds like next to another one. Something I find interesting, some on here talk about how a mic sounds. And of course, that really is all that matters, but who's ears are we talking about? If your mic "sounds noisier", how much can you hear in difference? I mean, we all know that different people are capable of  "seeing" out of sync audio for differing amounts of frames out of sync with video. But, if your mic is "noisier", how much can you hear? 1db? Or does it take 2 db? 

If your mic was "off", in the bad direction, by 10 percent, that would be 1.4db. I don't know of I can hear that.

I really don't know who can. I'm tempted to take an spl meter, go test 10 people, turning up the volume 1,2,3,  and 4 db, and let people tell me what they hear. Is there someone on here that can hear a 1 db difference? I really don't know. I think that would be fairly easy if you are a/b switching with headphones on. Is that the only way to hear a 1 db difference? I would think so. I think we can pretty much eliminate the over 50 crowd on this one. 50, what is that in metric years?

Sincerely, Martin 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since this seems to have turned into a critique of the superCMIT I figured I'd comment with my preliminary findings. In comparing the superCMIT to the CMIT5u, I didn't hear a significant difference in the level of noise, what I did hear was a slight tonality in the noise from the superCMIT that called attention to it. I had to crank my headphone amp on the 633 to +20 to hear the noise on any of the channels though, plus self noise in my experience has been a poor indicator of the quality of a mic.
I am fortunate in that I can trust my ears since I have literally listened to hundreds of Mics checking for self noise and other issues, I hope you might consider my opinion to be an informed one.
I haven't gotten a chance to really put the mic through the paces in a real environment yet but I could see that in mode 1 I was getting about the claimed 4db in extra off axis rejection and on my voice I thought the two Mics sounded very close. I don't need to sell the CMIT5u right away so I may keep it around for a bit, but after reading some of these responses I was doubting myself on buying the superCMIT at all, I think I'm tentatively happy with the purchase though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Phantompwr said:

Since this seems to have turned into a critique of the superCMIT I figured I'd comment with my preliminary findings. In comparing the superCMIT to the CMIT5u, I didn't hear a significant difference in the level of noise, what I did hear was a slight tonality in the noise from the superCMIT that called attention to it. I had to crank my headphone amp on the 633 to +20 to hear the noise on any of the channels though, plus self noise in my experience has been a poor indicator of the quality of a mic.
I am fortunate in that I can trust my ears since I have literally listened to hundreds of Mics checking for self noise and other issues, I hope you might consider my opinion to be an informed one.
I haven't gotten a chance to really put the mic through the paces in a real environment yet but I could see that in mode 1 I was getting about the claimed 4db in extra off axis rejection and on my voice I thought the two Mics sounded very close. I don't need to sell the CMIT5u right away so I may keep it around for a bit, but after reading some of these responses I was doubting myself on buying the superCMIT at all, I think I'm tentatively happy with the purchase though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phantom, your tentative will turn to permanative

.

Sincerely, Martin

Edited by MartinTheMixer
Autocorrect
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Michael Capulli said:

How about the fact that you cannot plug in the super cmit into a regular 3pin xlr mic cable and plug that into most common mixers. You will be limited to the 5 pins, breakout box or a device with the AES input 

You can plug SuperCMIT into most common mixers / recorders with AES 42 Input. No need for 5-pin XLR cable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...