Any substitute for Porta Brace?

manu258

Hey guys,

Sorry to sound cheap and I know that porta brace makes high quality products but I really rather not spend $200 on a bag.  I would much rather spend that extra money on gear!!  I'm using a SD 702 and am looking for something under $100.  I guess that I could just look for a random bag that fits but I'm wondering if there's something specifically tailored to audio?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!

Your best shot at something that would be suitable for professional use (configuration, rigors of the road, etc.) would be to find a proper bag (Petrol, Portabrace, Kata, etc.) used.  Look through the used listings on all the professional audio dealers' web sites (Trew Audio, Coffey Sound, Location Sound Corp., Professional Sound Services, Gotham Sound, etc.) and comb eBay for a while and you'll likely come up with what you need.

Being someone who works out of a bag infrequently (although I do use it for car rigs), I have to agree that having the right bag is crucial for that kind of work.  If the bag is what you'll be using more often than not, then it is a piece of your gear.  Spend the money on the right tools for the job, which includes a harness for your bag.  It'll help you do your job better.

Also agreed, a bag for your mixer/recorder really is gear so think of it that way.

Also, by the time you buy some other bag and chop holes in it to get it to work, realize it really doesn't, and then spend 200 on a portabrace or petrol you will have spent more anyway

manu258 - where are you from? what's your real name? have you posted into the "WHO I AM" thread? please do so...

you CAN get a bag made if you have access to a bag maker. it can be simple or complicated - depends on where you are... but you should be prepared to put in considerable time and effort into the thing you want. It's not easy, but it can be gratifying, especially if the end turns out workable and decent.

-vin

Petrol is the best IMO.

I'm not sure about Kata never used it but portabrace I've never liked.

My favorite thing lately is I saw a video by portabrace for there sound bags.  At one point it shows how you can cut holes to run cables into your mixer or where ever.  All I was thinking was why don't you design your bags properly.  I've never had to cut holes for my petrol bags because they were designed properly.

i never regretted a single penny i spent for a well designed bag.

kortwich/berlin ( http://www.filmtontechnik.de/488.html ) makes all the bags i ever dreamt of, and they do custom designs. but i dont know if they are available in US.

Those look like nice bags!

I too have never regretted spending the money on good support equipment.  It makes my good equipment work that much better, and last that much longer.  Every time I cheap out, I end up spending more and buying the real thing in the end.

-K

i never regretted a single penny i spent for a well designed bag.

kortwich/berlin ( http://www.filmtontechnik.de/488.html ) makes all the bags i ever dreamt of, and they do custom designs. but i dont know if they are available in US.

I've never heard of those bags before, but they look good. Not a very informative site though. Am I right in assuming that those mixer bags dont have the NP1 battery slot under the mixer, like Camrade and Porta Brace does? Are there both belt straps and harnesses for them? Im particullary interrested in the small 302-version, if anybody got info...

Fare enough guys, you twisted my arm!! haha.  I guess I'll be looking in to some sort of porta brace/petrol solution, especially since I tried using a random laptop bag from target today and it annoyed the piss out of me!  Sorry for not posting in the "about me" section yet.  I will do so!

Thanks guys.

I have bags from Petrol, Porta Brace and Kortwich and just swap out gear depending on the job. Depending on the kind of work you do, you could find yourself re-configuring at times. Is the 702 your only piece of equipment that will be in the bag? Will you also have radios and a mixer or is it just a boom and the recorder? At the most basic of level, something like the protective case for the FR2-LE could do http://www.mixexperience.co.uk/print/product-description/fostex-fr-2-le-bag.html This is good enough to keep daily dirt and grime off of your equipment but offers nothing else. I don't know how well it could work with your 702 as the battery being on the base of recorder throws the shape out. Here's an Edirol r-4 case housing a 702 and some other bits and pieces http://audiofieldrecordings.wordpress.com/2010/07/15/a-wolf-in-sheeps-clothing/ The reason people will invest a little more money in a bag  by Petrol or Porta Brace is the protection that it offers your equipment. When you're jumping in and out of vehicles in a filthy environment and your bag is taking a beating, there's a certain peace of mind knowing that the £12,000 of equipment that's sitting in the bag is being looked after. The cordura material is amazing in the field and very hard wearing. Your 702 will appreciate being pampered!

Are you in the States? If you are then this may be of interest as B&H have a good deal on Petrol 607 bag right now http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/686799-REG/Petrol_PS607_PS607_Deca_Mixer_Bag.html (you may never use the free poncho but it retails for almost $50 so it's not a bad thing to have for free if you're getting the bag anyway.) I was picking up another Petrol bag from a supplier in London yesterday and had a look at the 607 while I was there. It felt like a very well layed out bag that would house the 702 quite comfortably and would allow you to add something like a 302 mixer and radios in the future.

Happy shopping.

I find Petrol bags too heavy and I don't like at all how they look.

I use my Deva in a Portabrace bag and is very well protected against elements.

But I don't like some things of the Portabrace bags, specially the accesory bag (wireless front case) attaching aproach.

I'd like to try the Kata audio bags and eventually try to design a bag myself or contact that german bag manufacturer...

For your SD702 recorder I'd use a Kata bag

I think the petrols are about perfect for 90% of situations.  My complaint about them, which relates to their added weight, is that theyre un-necessarily deep. I almost always need 2-3 "pillows" to get the gear to the correct height. 

It's a lot of wasted space and I think mainly it is intended for older gear that needed that much depth,  fostex, hhb, etc.

Petrol looks is killer now imo, especially suited to Halloween.

Petrol=Heavier but stiff; my former PBrace used to slowly sag with time and it now looks like a crepe...antennas point in front of me instead of up in the air...imo, they don't follow the needs of production, make things too fast and stick too much with their old designs... but it's my opinion.

And I like to be able to see at the bottom of my compartments when in dark (Kata and Petrol=bright colors). I sure don't need black inside a bag.

Owning a SD302, sure, it's deep ... lol

Can't wait to see the Nomad and decide what to buy next...