Lectro UM400a vs SMQV

staudio

Just bought my first SMQV recently and I love it. My only complaint was the first time I took it out for a spin was in a dark studio with minimal lighting, and since my unit was used I don't have the handy new backlight feature. I immediately wanted that feature, but hey, you have to set up a UM400a in the light with a friggin' screw driver, so it's still not that bad all things considered. Overall I'm super happy, and the Lectro RM app is just badass.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have but one complaint with the multi-button press feature.... I am missing some digits on my left paw (a wreck with a table saw) and manipulating more than two buttons at once is a galactic pain in the ass.

I was just thinking the other day that I think the Lectro Mode setup should really be a menu item, and not something where you have to hold one button while pushing the two other buttons to boot it up. I honestly think two more menu items -- one for Power and one for Mode (100, 200, 400, 3, 6, IFB) -- would have been easier to navigate, and still impossible to accidentally bump into. A third menu item for RF Off would be useful for testing (much more than the quick audio + freq buttons). Just my opinion.

On the other hand, I'm so grateful for the SM-style of digital readout compared to the "Captain Midnight Secret Decoder Ring" of the 200 series transmitters, I'm not complaining! Those really did drive me crazy, especially on dark sets when I was frantically trying to handle a sudden frequency change.

I was completely baffled and flummoxed when it happened, because we had just done two takes in a row that were perfect. Suddenly, take #3... dead as a doornail. The actress feigned indifference, but I always carried spares, so we were back in record in about 1 minute.

I was suspicious when at the end of the shoot, I walked over to retrieve the lav from her and she had already completely disconnected herself and handed me the SMa and the lav in a pile of cable. I considered strangling her with it, but I just smiled and gritted my teeth. Weird experience.

I didn't even know the SMa had an RF OFF mode until this happened. We had two other actors miked, and they were fine throughout. Go figure...

--Marc W.

Always lock them. I learned that after the first time I used it. It happened to me pretty much exactly as your experience.

Like Justan said... lock em!

I have had actors lean against the SM mics and actually retune them one position, so we kind of see the RF but it's junk. Just happened to us two weeks ago on a "reality"(ish) show. The girl wearing a pack was on a boat and must have been leaning against a rail or something. The other mixer and I were in other boats, so we initially thought it was a range issue. Just that exact WRONG way to lean against a rail. Go figure. No idea how that could be comfortable!

I have also had actors just take out the batteries when sneaking off set to make a phone call or something. I guess they see us do the secret two button push, but *most* don't know to hold it for 3 seconds. I have worked with a few actors that learned how to use SM transmitters from working on a TV series that used them.

If you use the remote app every time, some talent will be more likely to assume that magic is the only means for messing with the wireless system and will just defer to you to mess with their packs. Obviously, allowing others to assume that you have magic powers is preferred in every situation.

If you use the remote app every time, some talent will be more likely to assume that magic is the only means for messing with the wireless system and will just defer to you to mess with their packs. Obviously, allowing others to assume that you have magic powers is preferred in every situation.

Correct.

• 3 weeks later...

I've used the UM400a transmitters, but never the SMQV. Might be buying some new wireless (rec and trans) in a few months and looking at the Lectro 411 rec. Originally thought I would just get the UM400a trans but a soundguy i know loves the SMQV transmitter. I do mostly network news magazine type stuff/live shots and corporate gigs. I don't do commercial or features. SMQV retails for $1395 while the UM400a retails around $1069. is the SMQV worth the extra $300?

Any thoughts? Thanks

If i can get back to the topic ....

the main difference I see between sm* and UM 400 is the physical location of the meters and controls. UM400 are perfect for hops with everything on top and smqv are a better for talent with everything on the side and easy screwdriver-less retune and easier gain control

Also love my LMa hop Tx's excellent value!

Off topic question for Larry Fisher. What is the arrangement for modding older SMQV transmitters that dont sleep properly? I remember reading about this months ago in a different thread.

Hi Johnation,

Here is the thread. It is long, has all the info and some of the clown humor this site is famous for:

I finally found it with a Google search using sleep, repair and JWSound. I couldn't find it using any function on this site such as: topics I started, topics I participated in, or keyword search.

Basically call service (800 821-1121) with model, serial numbers, and firmware version that shows at startup. Or email with the same info to service@lectrosonics.com.

It is a "We blew it" no charge update.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro