Jump to content

Line Audio CM4 for location sound


Kubassound
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 5 months later...

Just wanted to say that a few days ago I bought a couple Line Audio CM4 mics. I first contacted Line Audio, and Roger there directed me to their Belgium-based dealer NoHype Audio. I had a good experience buying from NoHype.

https://www.nohypeaudio.com/lineaudioproducts.htm

 

J-P Gérard at NoHype and I exchanged a couple emails discussing how COVID-19 measures might affect shipping from Belgium to the west coast of the United States. In the end, I chose to go with DHL express, which cost 36 Euros, not cheap, but not terribly more expensive than the standard 18 Euro shipping charge. But here's the cool part: 

 

I ended up placing the order on Saturday afternoon (my time), March 21. J-P got the mics into shipping on Monday March 23. I just received the mics now, Friday March 27 around 3pm my time. So Belgium to the west coast of the US in just a few days. Nice.

 

I'll fire up the mics this weekend and see what I think...

 

Sure, stock and shipping times may change in the coming days as COVID-19 affects supply chains and shipping everywhere. But regardless, I'm really happy with the service from NoHype.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jim Feeley said:

Just wanted to say that a few days ago I bought a couple Line Audio CM4 mics. I first contacted Line Audio, and Roger there directed me to their Belgium-based dealer NoHype Audio. I had a good experience buying from NoHype.

https://www.nohypeaudio.com/lineaudioproducts.htm

 

J-P Gérard at NoHype and I exchanged a couple emails discussing how COVID-19 measures might affect shipping from Belgium to the west coast of the United States. In the end, I chose to go with DHL express, which cost 36 Euros, not cheap, but not terribly more expensive than the standard 18 Euro shipping charge. But here's the cool part: 

 

I ended up placing the order on Saturday afternoon (my time), March 21. J-P got the mics into shipping on Monday March 23. I just received the mics now, Friday March 27 around 3pm my time. So Belgium to the west coast of the US in just a few days. Nice.

 

I'll fire up the mics this weekend and see what I think...

 

Sure, stock and shipping times may change in the coming days as COVID-19 affects supply chains and shipping everywhere. But regardless, I'm really happy with the service from NoHype.

I’d love to know what you think. I saw these in Tom Williams kit in the URSA straps video and have wondered about them. Can’t beat the price!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm expecting to be impressed by the bang/buck ratio. But I'm also impressed by the responsiveness of the company and dealer....

 

With COVID-19 and everything... might be a while before I know how these sound with an ensemble in front of them. Also, recording music ain't my bag. My opinion will matter less than that of someone who records a lot of music.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love them. I use the cm3 always for ambiance mics, crowd mics and pretty much anything. Especially for fx or music, they're awesome. I’ve put a pair in a zeppelin in kinda ortf config. Great quick setup. Kind of uncharacteristic, which is a good thing obviously

 

 haven’t used them for voice though, but I think it wouldn’t sound great. Not bad but not great either.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jim...any first impressions yet? (I have a pair in the mail now)

 

Thanks...Ric

On 3/27/2020 at 5:16 PM, Jim Feeley said:

I'm expecting to be impressed by the bang/buck ratio. But I'm also impressed by the responsiveness of the company and dealer....

 

With COVID-19 and everything... might be a while before I know how these sound with an ensemble in front of them. Also, recording music ain't my bag. My opinion will matter less than that of someone who records a lot of music.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, ricphoto said:

Jim...any first impressions yet? (I have a pair in the mail now)

 

Thanks...Ric

 

With our COVID-19 shelter-in-place situation, I'm getting out much these days, Ric. 🙂 😞 But somehow still super busy. Played around with them a touch, but not enough to have any useful thoughts beyond "pretty small...seem pretty nice." 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks...looking forward to seeing/hearing what you think when you get a chance...

 

BTW: want to echo your experience with NoHype and JPG...almost immediate, friendly yet professional responses to emails and a tracking # really quickly after pushing the pay button...seems like any after sales questions will be handled well.

 

Shutdown has really hurt my wallet as I have more time to indulge my G.A.S. 😜

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 9 months later...

I may have missed this information but wanted to remind that CM4s are cardioid mics.  It might be possible to use these where you might have used a Schoeps Mk4.  But the perceived "reach" of these will need them to be played very close to the actor.  FWIW.

 

They do get a lot of love on Gearslutz as music mics.

 

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/all-things-technical/1268518-cm4-here-lets-start-thread-let-cm3-go.html

 

D.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...