Studio Monitor recommendations

Sarvic

I'll probably get killed, but I'm happy with my Wharfedale 8.2 actives. They ain't great, but I can't see much sense in shelling out big bucks for monitors if you don't have a studio, or at least a decently treated room to put them in. Sure good enough for editing, and the mixes have been translating fairly well to other systems, considered I'm using them in my living room. Some day.

+1 on KRK, and I've heard good things about the Prodipe Pro 8 ribbons

Gotta say, the Behringer Truth line of monitors are pretty decent. Should be since the company's R&D historically at least partly consisted of copying the work of other companies. The Alesis M1 Actives are also still good and inexpensive. The cheapest KRKs, the Rockit line, are decent too.

Best bet: bring in your own material to a dealer and give a bunch a listen.

In that price range nothing can touch the Equator D5 Studio Monitors. Incredible bang for the buck. http://www.equatoraudio.com/D5_Studio_Monitors_with_DSP_300_Pair_p/d5.htm Originally priced at $750.00/pair retail, the manufacturer started selling them direct at 299.99 US/pair. I replaced my KRK Rocket 5's with them and couldn't be happier. Exceptionally smooth and accurate midrange and top end and more bottom than one would expect from a 5.25" speaker. Be sure to check out the user reviews at the bottom of the page.

Tannoy Reveal Active 501 or 601A for that price. The 601 might push $450 for a pair. But hey, put a sub on the 501s and you are in business.

The "Truth" monitors, while they have a big tight low-end for the $, are just terrible in the all important 5K-12K. There is a harshness that just leaves me fatigued after a while.

The low end Focals are so not like a real Focal I can't listen to them.

The KRKs I would only recommend if you like listening at higher levels. That seems to be the only way they sound good and get over that "honkey" upper mid thing that they have.

Or just take out a loan and get some Barefoots or ATCs. Your ears will love you, but your spouse won't.

In that price range nothing can touch the Equator D5 Studio Monitors. Incredible bang for the buck. http://www.equatorau...0_Pair_p/d5.htm Originally priced at $750.00/pair retail, the manufacturer started selling them direct at 299.99 US/pair. I replaced my KRK Rocket 5's with them and couldn't be happier. Exceptionally smooth and accurate midrange and top end and more bottom than one would expect from a 5.25" speaker. Be sure to check out the user reviews at the bottom of the page.

Very curious about Equator monitors! Almost impossible to try them here in Europe (also horribly expensive importing them by myself), but I've always been a fan of coaxial design.