Grammar

JonG

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can tell you, having belonged to a number of boards and fora for the last 15 years, that it's usually the furriners who end up correcting the domestic types. So, no, I don't think it's any influx or anything like that. There's just a basic and gradual worsening of standards, at least when it comes to spelling and grammar.

BK

There is one important thing to keep in mind: the worsening of standards is what produces the evolution of a language. Once a language is written down and the language police put on their hob nailed boots, the language ceases to evolve. The last great change in American English occurred when Noah Webster tried (and largely succeeded) in simplifying and improving English English. He was roundly castigated by those that "knew" better.

In more recent times, Southerners tried to improve the language with "You all" or "y'all", a great improvement over "you". Is it singular or plural? Verb-wise, the singular you is treated as a plural (!!!) as in, You [one person] were [plural verb] there. This simple "you" improvement was frowned upon by the language Blue Bloods. The subjunctive case has all but disappeared in all the media and most everyday speech (If I were... now is - If I was....)  Subjunctive is pretty stupid anyway. "Ain't" is a very useful word, again from the forward looking Southerners as "I AM not, you ARE not, he IS not", etc.  "Y'all ain't...." pretty well says it perfectly and easily. Split infinitives are back in vogue after the mass of users ignored the language police. "...to boldly go where no man has gone before."  Dangling prepositions are now in great use, "Who's the letter addressed to?" And why not. The purpose of language is to exchange information. Let the best way win.

One could rave on for chapters but this one won't.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Hey, Larry. Where'd you find that information AT?

That's one I just can't let go. I don't mind the sentence ending in a preposition - "This is subject I'm not an expert on" vs. "This is a subject on which I am not an expert." But the addition of a preposition which is not required - "Where's the teapot?" vs. "Where's the teapot at?" grates on my nerves.

Some things shouldn't be allowed to evolve.

And "y'all" is commonly used when addressing a single person. But I get your point there.

Laters!

Hey, Larry. Where'd you find that information AT?

That's one I just can't let go. I don't mind the sentence ending in a preposition - "This is subject I'm not an expert on" vs. "This is a subject on which I am not an expert." But the addition of a preposition which is not required - "Where's the teapot?" vs. "Where's the teapot at?" grates on my nerves.

Some things shouldn't be allowed to evolve.

And "y'all" is commonly used when addressing a single person. But I get your point there.

Laters!

All in fun, but substitute the word "located" for the word "at" and the usage makes sense:  "Where's the teapot at?" becomes   "Where's the teapot located?" same thing but it doesn't grate; it is merely emphasised. Perhaps it is in the ear of the behearer.

To me, "If I was...." is just like fingernails on a chalkboard but losing the subjunctive IMHO is really is the right direction for the language. The "If" tells you it is contrary to fact; you don't need the subjunctive voice also.

Languages are entertaining and weird.

Best,

Larry F

Perhaps it is in the ear of the behearer.

Best,

Larry F

Fantastic! Larry, may I have your permission to riff on that as a signature?

Also, for anyone interested in exploring proper, and improper uses of grammar and spelling- try the book "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves". It's a fun little book.

My sister was an english major in college, and she tutors college kids now, and she complains that the college kids these days actually use internet shorthand like IMHO, LoL, and the like. If she sends these complaints to me in an e-mail, I'll usually reply with something like this: 

"Your just making a bigger dealy-o out of there use of the werdz". 

She doesn't find that amusing at all. 

Fantastic! Larry, may I have your permission to riff on that as a signature?

Also, for anyone interested in exploring proper, and improper uses of grammar and spelling- try the book "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves". It's a fun little book.

I just Googled it and it doesn't come up (?) but if it isn't in common usage, it should be. Be my guest.

Best,

Larry F

OREGON MAN UNDER ARREST FOR TAKING TYPOS RATHER TOO SERIOUSLY, ALSO TERRORISM

[Leonard Burdek] walked into his local Teacher Standards and Practices Commission office with what he claimed was a homemade pressure cooker bomb saying he had planned to blow up their sign because the “d” was missing from the word “and” in the Commission’s name, but the darn bomb didn’t work! And, insult to injury, nor was Burdek too pleased with the misspellings in the bomb-building instructions he downloaded from the internet!

Rest of the story:

http://wonkette.com/518235/oregon-man-under-arrest-for-taking-typos-rather-too-seriously-also-terrorism#Qyb5IYSpURWVc9ju.99

I just watched our President on television say " we've got more to do, we've got to find jobs"

It just did not sound right to me "we've got"I don't think I have ever said this. I believe I always say " we have to"

So what is correct ? So mind you I am not critiquing the President , Just want to know about "got"

Language is by majority rule. I think the majority has used "I've got", etc. more than a few times. It's just emphasis through repetition. IMHO, the question to ask is, do I clearly understand what is being said.

Best,

Larry F

I just watched our President on television say " we've got more to do, we've got to find jobs"

It just did not sound right to me "we've got"I don't think I have ever said this. I believe I always say " we have to"

So what is correct ? So mind you I am not critiquing the President , Just want to know about "got"

'We've' is a contraction of 'we have' so it's more or less the same.

You gotta do what you gotta do...  grammatically correct? I don't think so. Our language takes many forms. You know the phrase "the Queen's English", I'm not sure we have an equivalent in the United States and even if we do, such strict adherence to any one specific standard of speech or writing would make for a very boring and static existence.