Protective sleeves for NP1 batteries

jayhartigan

My son just lost two new IDX NP1s to TSA in College Station TX that were in his Pelican case with the 788. They stopped him at the gate as he was boarding to tell him they found the batteries in the case and wouldn't be getting them back. I know I used to tape the contacts in '09 but that stopped. We've traveled by air hundreds of times all over the country since then without trouble.

Here's my question. Does anyone know of a protective sleeve that the NP1 will slip into? I searched this forum but can't find a reference.

Thanks

Jay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Even if you find cases for your NP-1's, we're required by law to carry on any lithium ion batteries in the main cabin. I usually keep them taped up in my 1510 case with my gear. Bummer that your son couldn't at least get them and carry them on with him though.

I would love to find cases or even a cover for the contacts if anyone makes them.

carry on.  Tape over connectors with blue painters tape that matches the idx battery so that it does not stick out.  Pull everything out and put in the bins.  No batteries and electronics ever stacked.  takes about 5-6 bins.  Other travelers hate it- TSA prefers it.  I usually carry on 788t-633(naked)-NPs and a slate or two. No pouches or stray wires.   The slate seems to add an element of official film crew cache.  And i have a print out of the safety declaration from the IDX site.  Smile.

" I usually carry on 788t-633(naked)-NPs and a slate or two."

I understand that if you are carrying on board electronics like laptops that you need to be able to power it up should security require it.

I always make sure I have a charged V-lock in my carry on kit, ready to prove its use. All of my other V-locks are taped and bagged.

So the question remains, doesnt TSA check all the checked in baggage.

Like you, WE, my DP said the same, that he was pretty sure they were not supposed to be checking Li-ion batteries, but they were (and I'm talking about a pelican thT was regularly over 100 pounds. Several times one of us had to go back through security, take out a battery or two to meet weight, and then go back through security.

I still don't get how more aren't confiscated like yours througb Germany.

And yeah, wheres the auction ???

best

Steven

I reciently flew through china and the dp had one small lithium battery buried in one case. When checking in china's version of tsa scaned all the cases and a red light on the scanner lit up for one case. The agent said that there is a lithium battery in the case and it must be removed. Even all the carry on battereis went through a lot of scrutiny.

http://phmsa.dot.gov/safetravel/batteries

Spares are not allowed in checked baggage but batteries with up to 8 grams of lithium (100wh) are allowed if installed in a device. I assume the rationale is that if it is installed, it is protected from short circuit.

What is the device rule? I've read the TSA rules about carrying on batteries, and the capacity limits per battery / passenger. But I've never seen a requirement where they must be installed in a device to be carried on.

For us it certainly does.

I remember one time when, after checking her notebook, and then calling her sup in, TSA called an airline agent to come to the screening area to approve my (3) Np-1; which they did.

Still doesnt explain how a pelican full of unconnected camera batteries gets through,

Wait, does even TSA disempower sound ?

lol

best

Steven

Wait, does even TSA disempower sound ?

Ha!

Although I do know sound mixers that pack their whole kit and check it. They've also told me stories of their recorders getting damaged from the way TSA repacked their pelican, etc. Personally I like to carry the bare minimum I need to shoot with on the plane, then check the rest.

Like John Gooch said, I carry the batteries and a printout. I'm currently using B4B batteries, so I have their paper that states how many grams of lithium in a specific battery. Carry them all in my mixer bag and that's a carry on. I'll put iPowers under because my understanding is that you can do ones that small, and they are taped up in the plastic holder.

Camera shouldn't be putting lithium batteries under, but it seems like people do and often get away with it. That said, I couldn't even imagine landing and realizing every camera battery was seized. They're definitely stories on this site for people that got to their hotel room, open the pelican case and realized the batteries were pulled out.