Sonosax SX-R4+ - 2014 era kit?

Spindrift

Since the equipment we invest in has to have a long enough life span to pay for itself, I'm kind of glad that manufacturers like Sonosax or Aaton don't change their models every 5 years. As long as the tools we use have the functions and qualities we need to work, there is no reason to change them too often. Personally, I would prefer that our industry not succumb to the trend of a new model every year, as with smartphones. And being a happy user of the R4+, I don’t see the need for a remplacement yet. The most important points for me are: reliability, battery life, weight and…. The sound of the preamps ! One may argue there is no eq, no auto mixer and no noise reduction, but I don’t miss it and prefer to keep these processes In post.

10 minutes ago, Spindrift said:

I wonder what more could be improved upon in this fine unit?

Well they are supposed to be releasing the RX8+ add on for slot receiver module / they have a dante option etc so they have been really good about keeping it up to date?  A lot of these recorders sound amazing and it seems most of the features we're seeing on newer models are more focusing on convenience features (such as built in wireless / higher track count / DANTE etc) because pro level 24bit/48khz stuff sounds pretty darn amazing.

They only just put out the Sonosax SX-RX8+!! (in fact, I think it is not even shipping the first units yet?)

Thus it seems unlikely to me there will be a SX-R4+ v2.0 any time super soon? (and if there is, it had better have backwards compatibility with all of their accessory add ons for the SX-R4+! Would suck having to wait again for a decade to finally see their range fleshed out again for the next generation like it took for the SX-R4+)

I think Jacques has in mind :

- Small recorder (RX4+) and modules for small jobs/productions/ where light weight and low power draw is needed (with Sonosax's state of the art electronic design) OR

- Full fledge producion (ala James Bond/Avatar/1917/...) using their SX-S...  mixer serie wich can be recorded on what ever recorder that has a digital input.

- And he still has his music clients in mid with the SX-VT serie and even the M2D2 wich makes the bridge between big and small productions.

IMHO he doesn't see the need of a new recorder in between those offers and there are still no cinema recorders that have better preamps than the R4+ (AD8+) out there. It's also getting harder to beat their performance until next technological leap.

1 hour ago, codyman said:

Slightly off topic but with the RX4+ in a bag, do you use the knobs for each channels as faders and then is it push it to solo/change the trim?  Just curious

I use the RC8+ in « fader mode » for my receivers  (via the AES inputs) and I set the analog inputs in « gain mode » so I can control the recorded level of the boom from the knobs on the R4+. 

12 hours ago, Trey LaCroix said:

What would a new Sonosax recorder have that the R4+ can’t provide? With the various accessories it can do just about everything a “new” recorder can do.

Probably not much that would be really wanted in a new Sonosax recorder, that couldn't maybe(?) be already added to the SX-R4+ with a firmware update? Such as EQ/Automix/NR. 

It's still by some distance the best sounding machine I've used, although I still love the sound of the SQN I have too. Had to go to my backup machine for a spell while it was stuck in customs(thanks Brexit) after a repair and really noticed the difference. Sonosax should probably have been given more credit for developing and releasing this machine when it did - very high track count, loads of AES, advanced power options and the best sound all in one tiny and very light machine. Like all of our gear, it has it's quirks and with Sonosax being a small company it can be a bit slow to iron these out, in my opinion. In saying that though repair turnaround has always been fairly swift. The LC8+ is great to use, does exactly what it should. I would hope to use it for at least another 5+ years unless some kind of drastic change in technology occurs and given it has also now added dante and the upcoming module for holding two MCR54, can't see that being the case. 

• 8 months later...

Any thoughts on which bag would be best for R4+ and AD8+?

I simply need the bag for comfortable, safe transport and occasional field recordings. Mostly I am recording classical music. So I don't require lot's of extra storage pockets and such. From using an SD 744t for years and 788t, I can say a bag has been useful.

I see the Ktek Stingray, the PortaBrace, and Orca 30. It seems like the PortaBrace is the only purpose built, but doesn't have 'sides'? Perhaps that works for my needs

I don't post here very often, but the user group has been very helpful while researching the Sonosax +series equipment. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2.nd unit is built into a portabrace bag , they built those bags only for show!

The entire unit incl. power for half a day is only 5.5 kilos.

There is no need for me to update my recorder, 16 tracks and all  the Sonosax goodies built inside..

Good also for the next 10 years.

These yearly updates of new recorders  and new transmitters/receivers are mainly  for manufacturers to make money.

I cannot see real great updates to sound quality in the last ten years.. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

There is no need for an update, IMHO. It has everything for 95% of workflow (docu, drama, film). The only "update" will be something bigger, but you can already record 16 tracks, Dante etc with the only hardware update - maybe - a little more proper output scheme and connectors.

agreed. no need to change a almost perfect machine. no matter how old she can be.

the last RX8 addition makes it an absolute unit paired with 2 quad receivers. I had the chance to test it during a 9 weeks long feature, on bag mode, and with the soundcart, faders and sharkfin antenna.

The AD8+ is also a very interesting module to look at. Very tempted.

some stuff could be added to mimic the other brands but as Henri said, better to leave it to post.

Other philosophy, other workflow.

image2.jpeg

• 6 months later...

How is general stability and reliability when using 4 to 8 channels of wireless over AES? Let's say LR mix, MS BOOM, and 4 to 8 channels of wireless coming in over AES. I read some complaints about R4+ freezing when there are unused AES inputs enabled. What are your experiences SAX fanatics? I'd love to join the club, but need reliability for my documentary work.....Nomad (fw v8.05) works fine...

I have this exact setup. LR mix, MS boom, 4 to 8 AES receivers inputs with the RC8+ extension.

I choose this machine because of its sound (preamps and headphones), the lightweight and the power consumption (5 to 6 Watts). Those are important features for me on documentary shoots.

Mechanically, the R4+ is bulletproof. I have worked under really difficult conditions in remote location in the North with snow storms and heavy rain, not a single problem.

But…. I also have experienced some freezings. Not much, never critical, never lost a file, but it happened.

Generally, the problem comes when you change the configuration, adding the extension, changing the pots from gain to fader, assigning the same input to multiple tracks…. Things that I never do while shooting, but more in preparation.

After some discussion with Sonosax, Indeed, I try to keep the unused AES inputs switched off.

I also had a weird problem with an Neo Audioroot battery. Sometimes, the machine would shut down because the battery sent wrong informations. Battery changed, the problem disappeared.

Great machine for me, never let me down, but you have to know it. 

The freezing problem is mainly due to some user presets that have to be reset (after FW upgrade?) and not switching off not used AES inputs (when used with RXf8+ and AD8+).  Sonosax tried to replicate the bug but didn't manage to freeze the recorder.

I never experienced it. But my friend did. After doing those steps it worked flawlessly for him.

I love my RX4+

On 5/4/2024 at 9:42 PM, resonate said:

How is general stability and reliability when using 4 to 8 channels of wireless over AES? Let's say LR mix, MS BOOM, and 4 to 8 channels of wireless coming in over AES. I read some complaints about R4+ freezing when there are unused AES inputs enabled. What are your experiences SAX fanatics? I'd love to join the club, but need reliability for my documentary work.....Nomad (fw v8.05) works fine...

I've had issues with the freezing, it's all on the facebook group. Caused me a lot of stress for a while and is still a worry. Found that you need to adhere very closely to turning the AES off if unused, might be that Wisycom receivers make this worse. I've done that this year and it has improved. I do wish they would make more of an effort to resolve the issue and a couple of other bugs that really should be fixed by now. I gave Pierre my full system and settings for a month last year and they said couldn't replicate it even though it would happen 5 times or more in a week for me if recording all week. The freezing at least seems to happen in the menu screen, so if recording and you have to pull the plug, the recording up to that point should be on the card. I have never full tested this theory though so I am definitely not guaranteeing that.. ! A lot about the machine is superb and that's why I've persevered.