Being a dad and a soundmixer

dominiquegreffard

Congrats to all the sound fathers here :)

I'll be joining the club in 6 months and have also been thinking about these things. I guess there's always a way to make things work and the advise I read here is truly great.

(Dominique and Olle, I am too in Sweden at the moment to visit family and celebrate the holidays - let's grab a beer!)

Yep congrats and well said Crew and others.

I've been in the industry 46 years and been married just as long.

With 3 children I believe that the love and effort to provide for them helps keeps your relationship together.

It give you a reason to work hard and enjoy your family during days off and down times.

I was very often not around sometimes to 2 to 3 months, hard on everyone!

I now have 3 "elderly" children all with degrees who are stunning people and still very close.

I do not work so hard now so have time to enjoy my 3 grandchildren.

Sound is a great career but life is really about family

Good luck all you dads!

mike

Congratulations to all the new (and soon to be) new dads. My 2 sons are 16 and 21 now and are doing just fine. I've spent a lot of time away from home over the years and one piece of advice I have is this: when you do come home, especially after a long absence, remember that home life has continued on without you. Your family has a schedule and a rhythm you may not be in synch with. They've had to make things work without you, so don't get home and start bitching about "how come the grass hasn't been cut/ dishes washed/ screen door been fixed" etc. etc. Cut 'em some slack and enjoy the time you spend at home with them. It's all small stuff. Then they'll be sad to see you go to the next job, not relieved. cheers, Chris newton

So my little boy decided to come earlier than the planned caeserean on December 28 and guess what day he chose......yep you guessed it, Christmas Day 2011. We so weren't planning on spending Xmas day having a baby but its sooooooo cool!! Writing this from the hospital after he just had his first bath!!

Jayden John Mega or JJ Mega

I'm sure you can tell I'm very happy.

Hope you all have an amazing a Xmas as I have!!

All the best...

Cheers.

Peter Mega

Congrats Pete that is awesome news and a great Christmas gift!

Very few films have had the impact on me that "The Family Man" had. While not a terribly great film, I saw it when I had just finished college and my oldest daughter was just a couple months old. I remember vowing to never let business become the priority over family. That doesn't mean never making compromises (you still have to pay the mortgage, after all), but it does mean making your business fit with the demands of a fulfilling family life, not the other way around. And even that is different from family to family. I may someday regret not working on some projects that I've missed out on, but I will never regret the time I spent with my family. For most of us, our greatest legacy will be what we contributed to our family, not the sh!tty/meaningless/mind-numbing programs we had to work on to pay the bills. As an ENG/EFP mixer, very little of what I've worked on will be remembered beyond the timeline of its broadcast schedule.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...