aristotle_kumpis

Sony UWP Wireless System

On Wednesday, July 03, 2013 at 2:08 AM, daniel said:

UWP: very underated (perhaps the boxes put some off) and quite good value. The diversity made the system more reliable than the equivalent sennheisers (G1/2/3), sounds about the same. New version comes with scanning, and an option for external powering. You'll need padded I/P cables for use with line signal.

The external powering would be via the USB port on the side of the TX? What are you using as the power pack?

I think the original poster may well be dead by now! You revived a 6yr old thread ;)

But,  just for the hell of it, I like the Sonys, cheap (Stock mikes could be a lot better, replace when u can) Great range (better than the new URX ones) Great battery life, a good 8 hours or so on 2*AA. Pretty rugged all metal housing. I can scan for free channels. The other down though is some kind of compression or gating which can become noticeable, although seems more noticeable on the butt plug (utx-p1).  

11 hours ago, TommygunZA said:

I think the original poster may well be dead by now! You revived a 6yr old thread ;)

But,  just for the hell of it, I like the Sonys, cheap (Stock mikes could be a lot better, replace when u can) Great range (better than the new URX ones) Great battery life, a good 8 hours or so on 2*AA. Pretty rugged all metal housing. I can scan for free channels. The other down though is some kind of compression or gating which can become noticeable, although seems more noticeable on the butt plug (utx-p1).  

Not quite dead. 

My UWP were the the original 1s and didn't have external powering options. With the ubiquity of USB it might be argued anything which can powered with USB should be. A battery eliminator would be more resilient in the bag imho and would therefore be (if it can be arranged) my preference.

On 1/31/2017 at 0:30 AM, TommygunZA said:

The other down though is some kind of compression or gating which can become noticeable, although seems more noticeable on the butt plug (utx-p1).  

Hmmmm.... so I should look elsewhere for a low cost butt plug option? 

Perhaps the new RODE product:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1187382-REG/rode_tx_xlr_xlr_wireless_transmitter.html

The current model UWP-D plug on modules, UTX-PO3 do support Phantom powering of microphones and the USB mini port can be plugged into any I phone 5 volt charger to provide constant power operation if needed.

I use this  Sony  wireless system in my back bag with a 302. All run on AA batteries, for run and gun...news! I have to say they are easy to use and they just work. The sony lav mic that comes with units is just OK and the butt plug has been flawless. my 2 cents

Sorry to revive a zombie thread, but are these still worth it? It looks like URX-P2 / UTX-B2 combos are going for $250, and I'd rather buy an older decent radio than the new cheap (and from what I've read, bad) units like Saramonic. I'd love to get a set of G3s but they're still a bit out of my price range. Wondering if used prices on the G3s will go down now that the G4s are coming…

Do it! I have five Sony UWP-D11 kits. (six Lectrosonics too, and a couple of RodeLinks)

Picked up at amazing eBay prices (lots and lots of patience and constantly checking, goes a long way!). Even though I've used G3 units many times (because everyone has!), I still decided to go for UWP-D11 as I find I prefer them. 

In my eyes, there is nothing which can match either the secondhand or new prices of the UWP-D11 kits

If you're looking at new prices, you need to leap up a lot higher before you can find anything worthwhile. And going cheaper is dangerous, likely just throwing your money away. (although, I would like to see more reviews of the new Senal wireless. Maybe it might take the throne as the new low budget wireless?? Who knows, I want to see more reviews first. Also, Aputure is meant to be developing new wireless too)

If you're looking at secondhand prices, the G4 is unlikely to make the secondhand G3 notably cheaper than secondhand Sony. The only keen competitor to secondhand Sonys is if you are willing to spend a bit more and get secondhand 200 series Lectrosonics. (which will mean better quality, but at the costs of: extra cost, using 9V instead of AA, and greater weight)