Deity BP-TX 2 Announced

Mattias Larsen

Can the international versions of products like this be brought into the US by an individual? For example, if I happened to be in Vancouver, B.C. on vacation and went by Trew Audio could I buy this (or an Audio Limited A10, etc.) in person, bring it back to the states and use it as long as the frequencies are legal? I assume the biggest issue might be ensuring that firmware updates are the international version and not the crippled US one.

Looks like an interesting system, although the lack of a volume knob on the output dings the usability as an IEM a bit.

I can see so many uses for this!! For instance, feed a mix from your 833/Nova/Maxx/633/F8n/whatever into the Deity stereo audio recorder as a back up recorder in your mixing bag. Normally we wouldn't do this as a backup recorder is too heavy/bulky to keep in the bag, it is usually only cart users who do this. 

Had already thought of this as a good use for the new Tentacle (anybody heard anything more about that??). 

Could also pair this with my Sound Devices MM1 (or MixPreD/302 if that is what you have) for a super mini stereo recording kit that I'd just clip to my belt and go.

Just in general the Deity BP-TRX is a great "do everything" tool. Keep a couple in your kit at hand to solve whatever random surprising problems pop up on set. They want a camera hop? Got it! Want an IFB? Got it! Need an extra TC box? Solved! Your recorder spits the dummy? Not a show stopper!

10 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I can see so many uses for this!! For instance, feed a mix from your 833/Nova/Maxx/633/F8n/whatever into the Deity stereo audio recorder as a back up recorder in your mixing bag. Normally we wouldn't do this as a backup recorder is too heavy/bulky to keep in the bag, it is usually only cart users who do this. 

Had already thought of this as a good use for the new Tentacle (anybody heard anything more about that??). 

Could also pair this with my Sound Devices MM1 (or MixPreD/302 if that is what you have) for a super mini stereo recording kit that I'd just clip to my belt and go.

Just in general the Deity BP-TRX is a great "do everything" tool. Keep a couple in your kit at hand to solve whatever random surprising problems pop up on set. They want a camera hop? Got it! Want an IFB? Got it! Need an extra TC box? Solved! Your recorder spits the dummy? Not a show stopper!

I think the future Track E from tentacle will be only mono

Haha, hopefully this is as brilliant as it sounds. I thought from a while back a single box hop with TC (without the need for expensive hardware upstream) was an obvious thing to do - well done Deity for going there and further: eg a TC TRX (for either end of the hop), a belt pack, a receiver and a recorder (for some). Covid aside, I don't think I'll dump UHF for the belt packs anytime soon but Deity TRX will make sense for a lot of folk and maybe give them even more sales than their other stuff. I think right now multi purpose affordable boxes will be easier to justify. Are those 19 ms a deal breaker for anyone wanting to use them as hops?

1 hour ago, codyman said:

At 24fps 19ms is roughly half a frame delay.

yes, and 1000 / 25 (pal) = 40.

So do people consider 19ms a dealbreaker for a hop? For me, as long as the latency is consistent, the 'belt and braces' of scratch and TC from 1 box on camera is great and client can manage an offset if they need to. For IEMs maybe a bit more of an issue but as Alex Lindsay mentioned in the discussion with Jon Tatooles

sound behind picture is actually a bit like reality and therefore not as weird as sound ahead of picture. ie 19ms is like standing almost 6 metres away from someone you're talking to, < insert joke about social distancing > .

Currently it seems to be possible to have one unit set as TX to send to up to 4 receiving units. Sounds quite all right for camerahops, but might be on the low side for combining as ifbs. For slim crews it might be alright.

Another thing for using as hops that might be limiting is the ~ 12hr batterylife when used as such. Certainly not bad, but I occasionally do longer days than that, and instead of popping in 2 new AA's, one needs to replace the unit or mount an additional USB battery to it etc.

Just now, Mattias Larsen said:

For slim creAnother thing for using as hops that might be limiting is the ~ 12hr batterylife when used as such. Certainly not bad, but I occasionally do longer days than that, and instead of popping in 2 new AA's, one needs to replace the unit or mount an additional USB battery to it etc.

I guess the good news is that it is USB-C.  I would probably top off the units with a USB powerbank if on the go or a USB AC bank if on a stage or wherever there is power to quickly juice up the units.  That being said obviously you will have to pull the units off the cameras to do so rather than a quick AA swap.  I guess a bummer but not the end of the world?  Maybe a future version could utilize removable battery packs like the Fujifilm ones everyone are using these days?

3 minutes ago, codyman said:

I guess the good news is that it is USB-C.  I would probably top off the units with a USB powerbank if on the go or a USB AC bank if on a stage or wherever there is power to quickly juice up the units.  That being said obviously you will have to pull the units off the cameras to do so rather than a quick AA swap.  I guess a bummer but not the end of the world?  Maybe a future version could utilize removable battery packs like the Fujifilm ones everyone are using these days?

Indeed. And 1 extra unit would allow you to manage the situation if you start swapping the units at 12 hours, minus charging time, multiplied by number of units in use. iirc the Deity stuff can also be charging/powered through the USB while in operation.

19 hours ago, Allen Rowand said:

Can the international versions of products like this be brought into the US by an individual? For example, if I happened to be in Vancouver, B.C. on vacation and went by Trew Audio could I buy this (or an Audio Limited A10, etc.) in person, bring it back to the states and use it as long as the frequencies are legal? I assume the biggest issue might be ensuring that firmware updates are the international version and not the crippled US one.

Looks like an interesting system, although the lack of a volume knob on the output dings the usability as an IEM a bit.

I believe it is possible to order it on TAOBAO or some other chinese website

55 minutes ago, yizhye20 said:

I believe it is possible to order it on TAOBAO or some other chinese website

No need to go that crazy route. There are dealers and distributors all around the globe with local tech support and representatives. 

22 hours ago, Allen Rowand said:

Yes you can buy outside US and bring it in.

Do you know if you can record through the USB-C connector?

6 hours ago, codyman said:

If you have a lunch break you could just plug in a USB powerbank, no need to pull it off the camera rig. 
However, these are so cheap to buy (as cheap as some batteries! Like V Locks), you could just have a fully charged spare unit at hand to swap in with. 

16 minutes ago, Vincent R. said:

Here a BP-TRX video with all the multifunctional features explained:

I thought I read somewhere it'll work as a USB interface for iOS device? Perhaps M2D2 users might interested to know if works as a recorder (and hop) with this as well. Will it TX/Hop and record simultaneously? 

11 minutes ago, daniel said:

I thought I read somewhere it'll work as a USB interface for iOS device? Perhaps M2D2 users might interested to know if works as a recorder (and hop) with this as well. Will it TX/Hop and record simultaneously? 

The answer is YES to both your questions. 2 channels recording, so ideal for the M2D2.