Sign in to follow this  
mano

CMC1 + MK41 Noise Floor

Hello,

I have been testing and experimenting with my new CMC1 + MK41 mic setup.
The capsule is not a new one, as mine is still on the way and I got a old one from my supplier until it's arriving.

I also own a MKH50 and a MiniCmit. I put up all three mics, same capsule distance, and matched gain on my recorder while speaking, until it was nearly perfectly the same on all three.
I noticed a significantly higher audible noise floor on the MK41 than on the other two mics.
The MKH50 was the best, which did not surprise me, second came the MiniCMIT (they were very close to my ears) and lastly the MK41.

My room was not completely silent (computer noise) so this of course is not a professional test.
I did maybe give the MK41 1-2 dB too much gain, but even then I can see and hear that the noise floor is up to 6-8dB louder then on the other two mics at around 1K.
Also one can see the high end noise boost on the MKH50 and the MiniCmit, which look very similar in that manner (also sound more similar then the MKH50 and the MK41 compared to my ears), vs the flat top end noise on the MK41.
All the noise seems to be in the audible spectrum on the Mk41, and seems to be "shoved upwards" on the other two mics.

On the pictures (one speaking, the other one silence/room/noise only):
Yellow: MKH50
Green: MK41-CMC1
Purple: MiniCMIT

Does anyone here have some insight on the noise floor of a MK41 and what its supposed to be?
Is this by design, is it the older capsule (I will test again with my new one when it arrives)?
What experiences do you have on recording very silent sources (whispering, etc) with a MK41?

Every insight is helpful for me, as I am only trying to find out if my stuff works correctly ( for the price I like to check stuff 😉 )

Thanks and stay safe!

speaking.png

room noise.png

35 minutes ago, mano said:

Does anyone here have some insight on the noise floor of a MK41 and what its supposed to be?

Its kinda like saying "how come my Audi wagon turns slower than my BMW X3 but my Mercedes ML is the fastest?"

They are different designs for different purposes. I would suggest getting three vehicles of the same make and model and comparing apples to apples, as opposed to apples to oranges to tomatoes. Then you could if you wanted to get into the actual Capsule and amplifier to perform critical listening test's once the variables have been removed. 

If you would like to know how to perform critical listening test will tell you, but I'm not gonna give it away.

1 hour ago, mano said:

Yellow: MKH50
Green: MK41-CMC1
Purple: MiniCMIT

This is three completely different platforms. 

39 minutes ago, BAB414 said:

Thanks for doing this test. May I ask how you generated those graphs?

Generated by the Spectrum plugin in iZotope.

This is not a professional test, as I said.
I just like to find out if it is normal for MK41 capsules to have audible noise floor, comparison to the other mics was just to have a reference, not for really comparing these models to each other.

I don't have the knowledge to draw meaningful conclusions here, but one thing I can mention from similar tests I did, is that that preamp noise can also be a factor.

afaik the MK41 needs quite a bit more gain then the MKH50 for example, so make sure that you use *very* good preamps if you really want to be sure the test is about mic self noise (out of interest, what was the preamp/recorder btw?). 

Haven’t used the cmc1. My mk41 with cmc6 is a tiny bit noisier than my mkh50 but never enough to bother me or be a factor in choosing one or the other.

My experience is the same as Trey.  My Schoeps is marginally noisier than my 50, though not enough to notice in a dialogue situation.  But if I'm recording the sound of barnacles opening on a silent beach, I'm going to be using my 50...

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

35 minutes ago, Freeheel said:

But if I'm recording the sound of barnacles opening on a silent beach,

In my experience, there is no such thing as a silent beach. 

(But I take your point.)

I would totally agree, David, except the one time I did record barnacles opening was 5 am on the North Coast of British Columbia, foggy, no wind, waves or swell.  Occasional birds.  The closest thing to a silent beach I have ever heard.

(But I take your point as well. A bit of a rarity)

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

Hello Mano.

I received my brand new CMC1 & MK41 yesterday and very impressed with the microphone and the size is nothing but astonishing. I was unsure if to go with the CMC141 or DPA 4018C as they are two incredibly similar sounding microphones but very unusually the Schoeps was cheaper.

I own a DPA 4017 Shotgun Microphone which has an included test report stating the measured self noise is 14dB. Plugged into my MixPre-6II and without touching any gain controls but with the microphones at equal distances the output on the Schoeps is ever so slightly hotter (1dB) and the noise floor identical. Schoeps state 14dB noise floor on the MK41 which I believe is true and is in line with my 4017 or even slightly lower if I matched the levels.

This was however all done by my very unscientific ears for measurement but I get the impression your older MK41 is off in some way.