Lectrosonics DSSM

Aprikot

Seems like a great piece of kit per usual with Lectro.  That being said, at $2449 USD and no remote capability (that we know of other than dweedle tones), starting to really pale in comparison to the competition at this price point.

1 hour ago, The Documentary Sound Guy said:

It's IP57 water-resistant ... is that a new feature?  I wasn't aware the SSM was water-resistant, but I've never owned one...

The SSM is definitely not water resistant anywhere near this level. I always keep mine in the silicone thing to protect it from sweat.

On 4/2/2024 at 2:42 PM, codyman said:

Seems like a great piece of kit per usual with Lectro.  That being said, at $2449 USD and no remote capability (that we know of other than dweedle tones), starting to really pale in comparison to the competition at this price point.

I agree, there has been a TX out for almost 5 years from the competition that can put out 48V and get better battery time for $400 less. I do currently own two SSM's and have had trouble with sweat in the past so the water resistance is an improvement. We don't have to worry now with costumes doing wet downs or an actor going 10-1 and dropping the TX where it should never go.

Yeah, a new remote control system would have been great. IP57 and removable antenna is certainly a good upgrade, but not worth the extra cost compared to a current SSM - not for me anyway. 
i have a small pile of SSMs and am very happy with them and have next to no water issues, and I never use the silicone sleeve. I love to find reasons to buy new Lectro gear, but the reasons here are not compelling enough 

The DSSM will be an excellent addition to my D2 wireless eco system.  I too what would love remote control if TX’s . I’m betting that WMAS with its 6 MHz bandwidth will the be future for remote control for not only Lectro but all manufacturers in the next couple years and all those 2.4 ghz controlled systems will be outdated.  And if/when we do see a WMAS compatible system with remote control Lectro’s track record shows that these D2 TX’s will most likely work with the next gen RX’s maximizing your investment.

What does WMAS have to do with a control scheme?  I mean, I get that wider bandwidth allows more to happen, but it's ultimately just a licensing scheme for wider bandwidth channels.  And control takes virtually no bandwidth, so I don't see why WMAS would open up possibilities there.  What am I missing?

5 hours ago, Izen Ears said:

Is 35 watts enough, or are these semi-immune to RFI or something?

I know you meant 35 milliwatts …

Anyway, yeah digital is different. I wouldn’t say anything is any kind of RFI immune, but I’ve been running DBSM @ 25mw with great results. 

5 hours ago, Izen Ears said:

HAM radio in your pocket!  But yes, it seems the digital vs analog transmission mW is different in the sense that digital seems to do way better with less power.

13 hours ago, Izen Ears said:

The HDM digital mode has good performance with only 2mW! But they do state it's something to be used in more controlled environments and with slightly reduced frequency response (20Hz-16kHz). Walk test in this video yields good results

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phjOWKIKwzQ&t=320s&pp=ygUVbGVjdHJvc29uaWNzIGhkbSBtb2Rl

14 hours ago, Izen Ears said:

Thank you all for your replies!  After getting majorly burned in 2008 using digital wires I just stuck with the Lectro hybrids.  Good to know they work as advertised these days!

Dan Izen

2009 was the 788 release, right? Or 2008?