Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

John you are correct - currently there is no plan for Nomad to support an external keyboard. In the future .... ?

it s a bit of a drag to name everything letter by letter as of now. I wish there could be a better way for this.. Like a keyboard, or even better a app. Hope it s gonna get this way eventually.

Is the automix functional from latest firmware version now?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it s a bit of a drag to name everything letter by letter as of now. I wish there could be a better way for this.. Like a keyboard, or even better a app. Hope it s gonna get this way eventually.

No. I listed the yet-to-be-implemented features in another thread just today in answer to a similar question.

Is Zaxcom planning a software for metadata editing like wave agent in the near future?

What do you guys are using to read the sound report generated by the nomad? Numbers and text edit on a mac gives me unreadable things (i.e : all the information are there but the page formating is very very messy...)

I use Open Office, but any spreadsheet program should be able to import the csv file.

What do you guys are using to read the sound report generated by the nomad? Numbers and text edit on a mac gives me unreadable things (i.e : all the information are there but the page formating is very very messy...)

The format will be a mess if you use Text Edit (which does not support CSV files). Excel or Numbers and possibly some word processors will format a CSV file properly).

I find the PFL to be superior on the Nomad. I can PFL multiple tracks. It is very useful if if you are looking for phasing problems. you can start adding and subtracting multiple channels by only pressing the PFL button on the top of the knob.

For the LF you have to get in to the channel setup and scroll down to LF Freq.

It is slower then the variable knob of 552 but I never need to access it in a rush.

One thing that bothers me is the notch filter. I tried it for the first time in a restarant where there was a high freq whine from the espresso machine. I enabled it and started scrolling up trough the freqs. It takes forever even if you PRESS+SCROLL. After 30 seconds I gave up.

with the notch filter, you can enter frequencies manually using the rec, play stop ffwd etc keys. you see next to them you have a 1, 2, 3 etc. you can use this to enter your value. for 8 and 0, you have to press the slt or com button twice quickly.

I suggested a logarithmic scale for the notch meter, meaning the higher the numbers get, the faster you scroll, which would be the accurate way. For now, incrementing 10 Hz steps when menu knob is not pressed and 100 Hz steps when it is pressed would help a lot. Manually typing the frequency in is also a bit of a pain because you don't see the number while typing, only the last digit, and more often than not it's not the number I tried to enter. I think Howy is working on this though.

As for the sound report: running a mac, I have Open Office, and when I click space on the file in the finder it gets displayed qiuckly and correctly. Very convenient.

On another very positive note, my current editors told me yesterday how happy they are that all the track names are displayed in their Avid timeline when they import my files - automatically.

Strange things :on my mac space bar preview works fine (thanks Cristian!) but when i really open it in numbers it's all mess up..

I'll try open office..

edit : it's a better with open office but duration becomes meters..odd..

edit 2 : didn't notice before but it's the same with the space bar preview , my files are 1,9 meters longs..glad to know..

How does the LF cut work on the Nomad? Curious as I'm used to the immediate or almost-immediate access to it on the 552, 788 etc etc.

Also PFL for each fader?

To activate the low cut filter go into the channel set up page for the desired channel scroll down to "HPF" for high pass filter and turn it on. Then go to "HPF Freq" for high pass frequency and adjust - the parameters are from 40 Hz through 230 Hz.

To activate the PFL press the PFL button you will see "PFL" flashing on the screen and then press the desired channel you want to listen to (1 through 8 ). A momentary push will change the channel you are listening to. If you push and hold the channel you will add additional channels to what you are listening to. To exit out of PFL mode press the HP knob.

Another idea that may help the notch filter: Wondering if it would be possible to BOOST the frequency while scrolling, to better hear what frequency you are effecting. Then when selected it could drop down to a cut. Whenever I am EQ'ing something, that is my standard practice, as it is much easier (for me) to hear a boost at a problem frequency than a cut. Just the way I have been trained.

I haven't had much time to play with the notches, but the few times I have used them were in a rushed environment and I couldn't find the precise frequency fast enough and had to give up. A boost option would be great.

Secondly, are the notches and delay pre-fader or post? In other words, will they be recorded to my pre-fader ISO tracks, or just to my post fader mix track? Again, haven't had much chance to experiment.

Secondly, are the notches and delay pre-fader or post? In other words, will they be recorded to my pre-fader ISO tracks, or just to my post fader mix track? Again, haven't had much chance to experiment.

currently they are only post fade but there will be an option to apply them pre fade added to the software in the near future.