Zaxcom URX100

Olle Sjostrom

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So far I find the URX100 to be great.  It's a great solution for commercial boom ops who also double as utility.

I have to be honest, I don't really understand the choices made around the walkie interface.  Besides maybe a reality TV field producer, I'm not sure who it's directed at, and $900 is a lot of money for a unit that will be dropped in the mud, stepped on, etc, especially at the rates those shows offer.

Personally I see a lot more use for the unit as a camera hop, where two balanced outputs, 1 with switchable TC, would be way more beneficial.    I wonder if a HW update could make this a menu switchable option between balanced outs and walkie?  I would mount this on camera a lot more if I didn't have to use the 3.5mm jack.  I understand there is an RX200 for this option too, but that unit is a bit more single purpose, and this unit, in my mind, would fit a lot more of my work if I could use it for boom ops and on camera.  I would also buy at least one or two more if this were the case.

Don't get me wrong, my criticism is suggestive in nature, I think the URX is a great unit and am glad to have it in my kit so far.

Glad you like it. The URX is designed to be a body worn receiver but of course can be a camera link receiver. As pointed out the RX200 is our flagship for camera link work while the URX is kind of a new animal with features nothing else has. Tough to do it all.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, KGraham045 said:

The URX App mentioned in the initial release videos would be appreciated. As entering frequencies into presets manually is a bit taxing/clunky.

Also, Stereo Audio out the TA5F would be much more ideal than unbalanced 3.5mm. And would then allow for that extra 3.5mm antenna!

You're asking for the units to be physically rebuilt. 

For the price i personally see this unit as an upgrade to erx’s as camera hops. Major improvement over range and quality  and also the locking connector. The ifb options for me are a bonus. Recently i was doing a series of corporate interviews flying solo working from a cart. They decided to have 1 particular shot be a walk n talk. With this URX I was able to quickly set up a wireless boom option for myself and monitor lav n boom simultaneously. Not ideal but in this particular situation it worked great.  This is my current camera hop setup below. It really works well as intended

8341822E-2202-4628-A797-0FE8AD881F0B.jpeg

22 hours ago, KGraham045 said:

The URX App mentioned in the initial release videos would be appreciated. As entering frequencies into presets manually is a bit taxing/clunky.

Also, Stereo Audio out the TA5F would be much more ideal than unbalanced 3.5mm. And would then allow for that extra 3.5mm antenna!

I find the freq presets a great function and you shouldn't need to change them often unless you always re freq your wireless.

The URX100 has been an amazing addition to my kit and the ability for my crew to listen to individual TRX's is a genuine improvement to our daily workflow. They sound amazing and the walkie interface is a permanent set up on the sound cart. I used to use Lectro R1 a's with a seperate lectro xmitter and referee switch for my crew as a monitor and talk back to me. That was a lot of hardware, it worked but nowhere near as well as the URX which is purpose built for that application plus has other features and functions as well.

The fact i can use it as a camera hop too is a bonus. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/31/2019 at 12:52 PM, osa said:

For the price i personally see this unit as an upgrade to erx’s as camera hops. Major improvement over range and quality  and also the locking connector. The ifb options for me are a bonus. Recently i was doing a series of corporate interviews flying solo working from a cart. They decided to have 1 particular shot be a walk n talk. With this URX I was able to quickly set up a wireless boom option for myself and monitor lav n boom simultaneously. Not ideal but in this particular situation it worked great.  This is my current camera hop setup below. It really works well as intended

8341822E-2202-4628-A797-0FE8AD881F0B.jpeg

Which antenna is this? Do you have a link? 

• 2 months later...

Hi There,

Im having an issue with my URX100 (most likely user error) but here it is:

When I plug in headphones to the headphone jack the screen just keeps flashing and the volume climbs by 5 each time it flashes until it gets to 100.

I do not have anything plugged into the TA5 at the time. what am i doing wrong here?

Thanks.

Thanks Jason, that did the trick.

boy, stay away from the trRs headphones with these!

What pouches are people using for these? Im in reality TV and need a protective pouch that still lets the producers change channels regularly.  ie. a pouch with a transparent window.

7 hours ago, JWL said:

Thanks Jason, that did the trick.

boy, stay away from the trRs headphones with these!

What pouches are people using for these? Im in reality TV and need a protective pouch that still lets the producers change channels regularly.  ie. a pouch with a transparent window.

I don use pouches. There is nothing that can break since the screen is surrounded by the antenna and the headphone jack. The rest of it is rock solid!