Am I the only one....

justanross

Hey Guys, am I the only one that thinks its very unprofessional to be posting photos of sound guys wiring attractive women? Then following it up with inappropriate comments of course. I'm not referring to this site, it's more on Facebook. I actually get very angry if I'm on set trying to wire a woman and someone is standing by me making comments about how I'm the luckiest guy and have the best job. It makes me uncomfortable.  I take professionalism very importantly in my job. I want people to be comfortable around me when I'm in there space.  Anyways, I'd like to hear your thoughts?

+1

I had the "lucky guy" conversation the other day on a job, replied with "it's about as sexy as being a gynecologist"..

What really pissed me off is hearing stories about another mixer (from a female p.m.) who purposefully got a hot chick to take off her top and bra so he could wire her and have a look. Maybe it was a "story" but still, I didn't find it very amusing and remarked that I'd never hire that guy again if it was my call.

On a series of TVC's I used to work on the crew became very close and I was referred to once by the director as "wandering hands". That nickname still haunts me.. I see the funny side but new talent freaked out when he would shout, "oh no wandering hands wants to have a fiddle" when I needed to make adjustments. The set was always a good laugh so they often joined in with the crew banter after the initial shock.

Regards,

Grant.

the sad thing is that this kind of thing reflects more on female talent than mixers. I'm trying to do my job but some people are extremely cautious and reluctant to let me do it, which I kind of understand because it's very intimate, but that makes the job harder than it should be. I suppose it's an advantage if the person wiring is female. (or is it?)

The really sad part is that talents might think that wiring is something that could have a sexual tension, when in fact it is as sexy as putting clothes on. Or the gynecologist remark. I always try to talk about something else and do my job as fast as I possibly can, to defeat that alleged "sexual tension" when I need to put a lav between two breasts. If I feel a certain talent is extra cautious I will give them the lav to mount for themselves and guide them and mount it more correctly in the end. 

Four times a year I have a job where we do instructional videos for large corporations that are 100% female owned, and use female models to do demonstrations using the company's makeup products. I have to wire these women and models who are usually wearing very fashionable clothing. I do wire them in the dressing room before they get in front of cameras. In the room there is one wall completely covered in mirrors. I explain what I would like to do and them seeing what I am doing in the mirror eases everyone's concerns. Since most of the shots are Med or CU I generally get away with the TX being placed on the ankle, they really say this is so much more comfortable than on the waist or bra and wish other sound guys would use the Neo Paxs

I think this is more professional than wiring in front of the entire crew on set with everyone talking. Also in the dressing room there is more room to manuver and I always ask them when I am when I am finished if everything looks ok to them, meaning I did not mess up their wardrobe or hair. The ladies seem to like the fact that I ask for their final approval. Of course it helps that most of them are professional and the fact we have worked together before over the years. I can always tell when I have to wire a first timer, they are usally nervous and I do my best to explain how things flow and reassure them everyone on set is working for them. Then I lead them to the set, showing them the path and caution for cables and such. We as sound people are the ones that can make a difference because we besides makeup people have the closest contact with them. One word. RESPECT !

Tom

Professionalism all the way Justan, I'm with you.

I've seen a website with the sound guy grinning inanely while his hands are in a female's shirt, and it makes him look juvenile and unprofessional. I flat out refuse to accept jokes from anyone on set other than the talent themselves, with whom I'll only demur (if they need that to feel comfortable thats fine).

In addition to the idea that people deserve respect, wiring people respectfully ensures good sound. If talent trusts me, they become my sound ally and will readily call me when they think something is up with the mic mount.

Nobody will trust me when the sense on set is that the sound guy is "Creepy McLeersalot".

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4683342806204&set=o.3358280542&type=2&theater

This one?

I've had the same thing said a million times, and there is one series I've worked on several times where the female host seems to mention it every time I put a mic on.  Everyone around goes along with it, so it would seem awkward of me to say something, but it's still a bit uncomfortable.

I've worked on a whole lot of cosmetic etc informercials, mostly with female talent with no camera experience.  I try to get the talent to work with me, (on the set) to essentially put the mic on herself with my supervision, usually w/one of the vanity ladies nearby.  We kind of make it part of the ongoing conversation about the day, her wardrobe, where she is staying, what the crafty breakfast was, what else she'll be doing that day, often the director will come over and join the group and talk about what she'll be asked and by then we have it done.  We try to keep the vibe as low-key and friendly as we can.

philp

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4683342806204&set=o.3358280542&type=2&theater

This one?

I've had the same thing said a million times, and there is one series I've worked on several times where the female host seems to mention it every time I put a mic on. Everyone around goes along with it, so it would seem awkward of me to say something, but it's still a bit uncomfortable.

Yes that is the one that made me start this topic. But it's not the first, I've seen many photos in that group.

Thanks all, I knew you'd all feel the same :)

It did seem like the recording being taken was more of a BTS thing. Meaning that perhaps that was one of the more private areas on location, invaded by someone with a camera with a built in or onboard microphone (it sounded crappy). But who knows. The room was fairly open.

Like most of you I insist on wiring up talent as discreety as possible. Male or female. And there's always a place to do it. Wardrobe, a nearby room, somewhere else off set even if it's just to the side. I find it annoying when I get the remarks from other crew, but haven't found a good way of dealing with it aside from ignoring it. I'm pretty sure anyone who handles these situations unprofessionally won't have a lot work after a while.

Alot of good comments so far. I wish he would take that post down. It perpetuates the big joke of the sound guy laving the pretty girl.

These kind of jokes are inappropriate and unprofessional. I ignore them generally especially if the actress plays along. When comments are made and I can sense the actress is uncomfortable I will say in a relaxed tone, "Excuse me, we are trying to work here. Thanks!". That usually sends them on their merry way and dissolves any uncomfortable feelings from the talent, letting me finish my job.

I've actually got these comments from other crew, and sometimes from talent both male and female..  Best way to handle it. Pokerface. Don't say anything, other than what you need to do your job.  Announce that you need to 'get into their space', and keep it all business when wiring. 

I've done this many times, and it re-affirms that I'm doing something right, when I hear female actors say things like.. "I only want Richard to do it".  It's a good thing, when talent trust you, and I do everything I can to earn that trust.

-Richard

The best any of us can do is act professional at all times. I was on a low budget shoot a couple of years ago where they didn't have the money for me to bring on one of my regular boom ops so the production found me someone who would work for really cheap. (Most likely a CL hire) I had to ask the producer to fire the guy because he was visibly getting off on wiring up female talent and making them very uncomfortable. I ended up one manning the  rest of the day and going into damage limitation mode with the talent because of this one guy. Thankfully the A.D. took it upon himself to assure the actors that I was in no way regularly associated with the boom op that they had hired and I made extra certain to be respectful, and so managed to avoid it all reflecting badly on me. 

I must say tho (As happened on a very different show to the one I just mentioned above),  it can be very hard to keep a straight face when the talent whispers gently into the mic during a rehearsal ' Hi Martin... I have your microphone nestled right between my t**t*s' Mind you by that time we'd all been working together for four weeks and so there was already a great rapport between crew and talent, but even then it's still important to know where the line is and not to cross it.

Christian, I can say, I believe I can wire much easier than most male mixers because I am a female. That said, full respect is always necessary. I wouldn't want anyone touching me in unwarranted ways, male or female. I am always sure to explain what I am doing, and I have gotten very good at placing the wire without even having to lift up a shirt, or staring at the chest. I reach one hand down the neck to the sternum, and reach the other hand, under to meet my hand on top. I don't have to look or feel... And I am not exposing them in any way. Of course, there are times when the wardrobe makes that hard... In which case, I ask the talent if they are ok with me getting the access I need.

Culture is a great big, brass-plated, Class-A trip.

I was second for Wielage last December on a low-budget feature, and one of the male leads regularly wore an ankle pack for his TX.

I didn't have the curtain rod dealio to thread the cable down his trousers, and he got in the habit of dropping his drawers whenever I knelt down near him, even when I just needed to change the battery.

Never heard a single joke from anyone, despite his "basket" being in my face for more than a week.

Total trip

Think about it- If we worked for a corporation or any professional organization and then started posting inappropriate pictures on a social networking site the likelihood is that as soon as the HR department found the pictures then it wouldn't be long before we'd be fired especially if the photos were depicting this kind of behaviour in the workplace. People have been let go for far less, think of the lifeguards that were fired for their Gangnam Style parody on Youtube, or those that have been fired for making negative comments about their bosses on Facebook.

I imagine most of these pictures that appear have been taken on smaller indie shows, because I would think that if they were major studio productions the corporate bosses at Comcast. Sony, Viacom and the like would be looking for a heads to roll if their organisation was being brought into disrepute. Even the most of us who do work in a professional and appropriate manner need to be very careful what pictures and comments we post on the web, and unfortunately we also have to sometimes police the things other people post that contains our image as well. We could be innocently setting a mic on talent, but someone with a camera, be it a cell phone or a behind the scenes DSLR could easily take a picture from an angle that looks suspect.

I saw the post too. Thought it was really unfortunate.

But clearly that sort of set is a show unto itself, and maybe that's what these people signed up for.

Wiring talent with tact is a critical part if the job.

Not that it makes it right but I honestly think it was set up to be just what it was.  A racy behind the scenes view of a racy show.  Everyone was smiling and playing to the camera.  It does a diservice to those of us who treat talent with respect and dignity, but in this case I think everyone was on board.  Side note:  the Lav Bullet really has been a huge help minimizing invading a person's clothing when rigging a lav. Male or Female.

Another reason to set the cart up well away from crowded areas...

I like having all my tools at hand, not least of which the ability to take a quick listen before talent walks away, so my preference is to wire at the cart if at all possible.

Depending on the personality of the talent, I will often clear "my" room once notified they're walking.

When out on the street, I work with locations to find me a private spot indoors. Sometimes I've prevailed upon wardrobe to help hold up a tarp screen if no such place is available and camperland is too far away. I've even clamped one side of the tarp to the cart to make a quick "room" for wiring a child or installing a thigh pack.

In this way, nobody has the opportunity to make jokes about wiring.

Just. Not. Cool.