Jump to content

DPA 4098 - first impressions


Jeff Wexler
 Share

Recommended Posts

Yes I understand that for some situations of course.

someone has tried the 4081?

I can't speak for others, of course, but for me I bought the 4098 only because of the gooseneck and NOT because of its supercardioid pattern. In fact, as others have mentioned as well, I would have preferred a slightly wider pickup pattern.

The 4081 appears to have been discontinued now. I do have the 4080, which is the cardioid version and otherwise looks identical to the 4081, it seems. All of these mics are special purpose mics and I use them only in some rare circumstances

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I own 2 of the DPA 4098 goosenecks and 2 DPA 4081, which are the microphones that Robert Sharman refers to. I think they both sound great. The 4098 is a truer Hypercardioid, similar to a Schoeps and a lot quicker to install on an automobile visor. I'd rather have more choices and use whatever is best, depending on the situation. Here are the polar patterns of both microphones:

DPA 409856b436a99a6dc_DPA4098.thumb.jpg.17398f72 

DPA 4081

56b436d3c3399_DPA4081.thumb.jpg.5cff795b

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 9 months later...

heads up on a problem I have found with both of my 4098: the bottom of the little tube that goes on top of the capsule is very fragile. Especially when shooting in cold temperature. We did some very small adjustments to the mic hidden in a sun visor. Was enough to create a crack in the bottom part. The tube now sits too loose and would just fall off. Some tiny zip tie helps for now ...

 

 

1641.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/26/2016 at 1:06 AM, gareth john said:

Like Jose, we use the DPA 4018's with the side exit cable (MMP-ES), they sound fantastic & easy to rig - I've had 2 cables fail on me though, they're not contructed with fast paced filming in mind, need to be more robust imho

How would you mount them? Do you have any pictures?

So im looking into a good car mount low profile microphone. Lately I have been on shoots were we end up jumping in the car with talent and I am looking for a quick low profile solution. I know a few people are using the gooseneck DPA 4098.

But what about these other models from DPA? The 4080 and 4099 they seem like good options as well. Has anyone used these and what are your thoughts? Thanks sound fam!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How would you mount them? Do you have any pictures?

So im looking into a good car mount low profile microphone. Lately I have been on shoots were we end up jumping in the car with talent and I am looking for a quick low profile solution.

And that is exactly where the 4098 comes in. You can mount right on your tx and just clip that to the visor or find another place that works. Often I don't even need any tape to mount this.

I also have the 4080 and use it sometimes, but it doesn't seem to work as well. It's trickier to move once mounted and it never sounded nice. The 4099 I have never tried, but it's unlike what I wrote above: I can't mount right on the tx so I can't use the tx as base for mounting. I also have a MicroDot extension cable, and with that I can move the tx further away if needed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 4099 is designed for musical instruments and therefore has a lower sensitivity which results in higher max SPL handling.  Given the distance the mic often needs to be from the subject in a car, the lower level is not really the best choice.

The 4080 is designed as a directional lav and therefore has a severe low end roll-off to compensate for the proximity effect when mounted on a chest. 

I like the 4080 mounting as, in some instances, it can be hidden even better than a 4098.

I'd like to see DPA make a mic just like the 4080, but with a flat response.  Unfortunately, when I brought it up to the DPA rep he seemed to have no interest in customer feedback, so I don't expect that to happen in the foreseeable future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

The 4099 is designed for musical instruments and therefore has a lower sensitivity which results in higher max SPL handling.  Given the distance the mic often needs to be from the subject in a car, the lower level is not really the best choice.

 

The 4099 have two sensitivity choices, one with 6mV/pa and other with 2mV/Pa (Drum and trumpet models), the first one have the same the same equivalent noise level as the 4098 (23dBA), the 4098 have more output (16mV/Pa). I don't see any significant differences in noise, just the 4099 need 8dB more gain than the 4098 (This could add a bit of preamp noise)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ramallo said:

The 4099 have two sensitivity choices, one with 6mV/pa and other with 2mV/Pa (Drum and trumpet models), the first one have the same the same equivalent noise level as the 4098 (23dBA), the 4098 have more output (16mV/Pa). I don't see any significant differences in noise, just the 4099 need 8dB more gain than the 4098 (This could add a bit of preamp noise)

I understand the numbers, however my comments on both the 4080 and 4099 (6mV/Pa version) are based on my experiences with actual use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FYI with the DPA gooseneck accessories, the 4080s can be rigged up to be nearly like a 4098 (you have to mount the goooseneck separate from the microdot into the transmitter, however.) I too wish for a flatter response model, but alas. The cutoff does help greatly when using them as intended as cardioid lavs attached to talent. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 14/12/2016 at 3:49 PM, ramallo said:

The 4099 have two sensitivity choices, one with 6mV/pa and other with 2mV/Pa (Drum and trumpet models), the first one have the same the same equivalent noise level as the 4098 (23dBA), the 4098 have more output (16mV/Pa). I don't see any significant differences in noise, just the 4099 need 8dB more gain than the 4098 (This could add a bit of preamp noise)

I've just been evaluating 4098 vs 4099.
If you don't mind the right angle from the gooseneck, the built in suspension of the 4099 is effective, with significantly less handling noise, when plugged directly in to TX. This 4099 suspension though tiny actually seems quite rugged.
I discovered that the 4099 is available as, hi sensitivity (6mV/Pa) in a pouch, ie. no XLR adapter or instrument clip and has an RRP around $100 less than a 4098, though ostensibly pretty similar. Why this is, I don't know, any ideas?

The gooseneck on the 4099 is slightly longer ( about 2cm?), though the specs for the shortest variation of the 4098 of 15cm, contradict this I think?

The foam windscreen on the 4098 is removable, whereas on the 4099 it's kind of integral with the suspension.

Testing them directly on Zaxcom TRXLA2's the 4099 seems to need about 6db more gain, but listening to them side by side with the added 6db gain on the TX they sound very nearly identical to me, including off axis.

Ramallo thanks for your observations, curious how you arrived at 8db more gain for the 4099, was this a calculation or testing yourself?

Any thoughts......?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, pindrop said:

 

Ramallo thanks for your observations, curious how you arrived at 8db more gain for the 4099, was this a calculation or testing yourself?

Any thoughts......?

Calculation, but usually, DPA have a realistic technical specs.

IMMO the 4099 suspension is a must for the job, but I don't like the angle

Best

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, pindrop said:

I've just been evaluating 4098 vs 4099.
If you don't mind the right angle from the gooseneck, the built in suspension of the 4099 is effective, with significantly less handling noise, when plugged directly in to TX. This 4099 suspension though tiny actually seems quite rugged.
I discovered that the 4099 is available as, hi sensitivity (6mV/Pa) in a pouch, ie. no XLR adapter or instrument clip and has an RRP around $100 less than a 4098, though ostensibly pretty similar. Why this is, I don't know, any ideas?

The gooseneck on the 4099 is slightly longer ( about 2cm?), though the specs for the shortest variation of the 4098 of 15cm, contradict this I think?

The foam windscreen on the 4098 is removable, whereas on the 4099 it's kind of integral with the suspension.

Testing them directly on Zaxcom TRXLA2's the 4099 seems to need about 6db more gain, but listening to them side by side with the added 6db gain on the TX they sound very nearly identical to me, including off axis.

Ramallo thanks for your observations, curious how you arrived at 8db more gain for the 4099, was this a calculation or testing yourself?

Any thoughts......?

Spent a little time at DPA site having a gander inspired by your post Pindrop and your thoughts about the suspension and foam since I've had to make a DIY suspension from time to time when 4098 is used as a plant and lamented foam loss. RIP foam. Wish I felt like spending some money!

While there noted they have a short gooseneck extension accessory (microdot --> microdot) that might be handy in a pinch.

Wait for the right podium / courtroom scene to pull the trigger on a longer version of the 4098 --> XLR and desk stand.

Just had both my 4098's to Denmark to repair the tube attachment @ $105 each. Was surprised that the replacement tubes were grey (read not black) as Matthias shows above but there it is. Guess that's why the lord made black sharpies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank's Jan, sorry to hear you needed $105 repairs to both your 4098's. Were the repairs to the joint between the interference tube and the gooseneck, same as Matthias? Seems like a design weakness?
And your DIY suspension, is that by wrapping the TX in a little soft foam perhaps or something else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...