This is a good place.

sergiofucchi

JWS has been a huge inspiration to me too as to many others here.

Every professional, more or less important, it seems to be locked up in his ivory tower and does not show your willingness never the same. 

Similar here in Germany, I find that many (not all!) people prefer keeping their secrets over sharing them. Maybe a cultural thing? Envy? I think Americans are more willing to share their professional knowledge than Europeans. And I like this American way. After all, many popular business practices here are adapted from the US.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a similar experience, getting to meet and work with Whit on a set last summer. The connection and opportunity happened because of our shared IA membership... But I was extremely grateful for the time I could spend learning from Whit and James (his utility who moved up to boom for the days I was there).<br /><br />My membership here has also been a major benefit in meeting other local mixers and sharing gigs - I can honestly say that without this forum, I wouldn't have moved up as quickly as I have.

This is a very good place for sure.  I'm thoroughly addicted and I appreciate the knowledge and community we have here.  That being said I see that we chased away the person who asked if there was a lav that had low ambient noise. This was his first time here and he asked a specific question. He got good advice but the thread evolved into something that wasn't indicative of the spirit of this forum. If we don't want anyone on here but pro sound people we should at least point these newcomers in the direction of other forums that would be more appropriate for them. dvxuser and dvinfo come to mind.

My 2 cents,

Bernie

Bernie, you said it. There have been two new people who've recently started threads that devolved beyond my admittedly-girlish tolerance and honestly, I was embarrassed and sad for us. There's no reason to get snippy with new people. No good reason on earth. It behooves us--in fact--to treat new visitors with especial care.

Please allow me to apologize again for my part in that "high ambience" thread about "low ambience" lavaliers, and for my piece of making this place a little less good to be at for guests.

I'll reach out to the OP via his website and apologize directly, and hopefully restore the good name of the House of Wexler.

I worry a lot about younger people "taking my jobs", but I still like to contribute. I have probably "taken jobs" from some more experienced guys, and I continue to try to do so :-)

Let me rephrase. I compete with more experienced mixers for the same job. I have never attempted to "take" a job someone already has. Big distinction.

Very true. In my small circle of mixer buddies we naturally swap jobs when we're overwhelmed. It requires some trust and respect if that second call comes your way.

And yes, This has become my only sound forum I participate in because of the knowledge and experience all you guys and gals bring. Keeps my head in the game during the slow weeks... like now :-(     Thanks Jeff

As an actor wishing to segue into film making, I've learned more about the importance of good sound quality than I ever realized was necessary to know. I've also learned that I'll never be a sound guy but that I'll never settle for inferior sound.

Since I've discovered this site a short time ago, not a day has passed where I haven't read and learned from what the generous professionals here have been so willing to provide. Knowledge, and knowledge is power. Even now I'm sitting in my trailer, on set, learning and discovering. Thank you Jeff and all the other soundies that contribute to this site. It's been invaluable to me.

As an actor wishing to segue into film making, I've learned more about the importance of good sound quality than I ever realized was necessary to know. I've also learned that I'll never be a sound guy but that I'll never settle for inferior sound.

Since I've discovered this site a short time ago, not a day has passed where I haven't read and learned from what the generous professionals here have been so willing to provide. Knowledge, and knowledge is power. Even now I'm sitting in my trailer, on set, learning and discovering. Thank you Jeff and all the other soundies that contribute to this site. It's been invaluable to me.

This represents the height of perfect unintended consequences. 

Thank you soooooo much for saying you're getting something from it.

Made my day...

XOXOX

Possibly the best post ever.

The way I look at it, is that by sharing, the quality remains high. And the more filmmakers that work with people who know what they are doing, then it is more, likely they will know why things went wrong when they cheaped out.

This helps to stop the devaluing of our respective crafts.

And there is still a level of talent involved as well. You can show someone all, the tricks in the world, but they still need to "get" it.

Ours is not purely a technical trade that can be taught in school.

Anybody can hold a boom, and ride some faders.

If it were but that easy.

I still hope that all Italians who frequent this site, sooner or later understand the importance of opening a similar one for Italian professionals.

Sergio.

I have tried with Greeks. But no one need to "search" more..

I have told why it's important that site but......

I originally posted this under a different topic but it really belongs here.

It's kind of funny how people have different stages of JWSOUND LOVE.

1st stage is one of discovery, the pretty woman across the room. Fascination from afar. 

2nd stage is mustering the courage to meet the girl, (the gang here) and talk to her. Ask her out so to speak.

3rd stage, if the date does well it becomes romantic love where one can think only of her and spends all their time here and loves it all.

4th stage is comfort and love but annoyance at the, you name it, the little things....

5th stage is the straw that breaks the camels back when she says a hateful thing about your Nagra collection and you storm off after telling her to stick her head where the sun don't shine.

Stage 6 is reconciliation as you realize there are no other girls like her out there.

This is only an observation or perception from my my corner of the globe. I could be totally wrong...

CrewC

If, as they say, "The voice of the people is the voice of God," 

Hey, Sergio, we should just get more of the Italian sound community here on JWSOUND! Is there a language barrier? Probably, but we have a whole lot of members from other countries and usually their English is a lot better than some of the Americans here.

Fury hears ya' and, for one, notes the ecumenical nature of this,"Cosa Vostra."  OTOH, if, as they say, "The voice of the people is the voice of God,"  a self proclaimed atheisticmystic, who is a Trojan, is still.. a trojan...   On several English language fora, there are many members, whose primary and even secondary languages are not English (including Fury, whose clumsy foibles with English bear witness) but, when the scope of discussion is technical, there are rarely communication impediments.  Ci sono tanti Italiani, per esempio, over at Reduser forum.  

Forza, Sergio, Forza!  E, per piacere, bring all your colleagues simpatici .  Sicuramente, ch'abbiamo bisogno. 

At the end of the day, a  mentsch is a mensch, while an atheistic...is a, well..., but we all are, simply narrow beams of light, some shining brighter- a LOT brighter.

Thank you very much

Fury

Some time ago someone told me that only people on the West Coast of the U.S. and also in the South are very open and available to talk about their work, while all the others, generally, they are not that much. I do not know if this is true. But what I still do not understand is why the few Italian members here who are not able to communicate with each other.
For example, some time ago, I responded to an Italian who had a problem with the file naming on a 788T to write to me in private because I too had had his same problem but I solved. I wanted to talk to him in our language because it is easier, but I've never even been contacted to see if it did have solved his problem. Maybe he believes more expert than me. Who knows ....

Sergio..