Jump to content

NEW: Timecode Systems | UltraSync One


VAS
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, davedv said:

It's certainly possible that some of the DIN 1.0/2.3 connectors are better than others... 

The UltraSync One seems to have the DIN connectors secured to the housing with nuts, which looks a little more robust. AJA does this with their products as well, and it's definitely better (only destroyed one connector attached this way, as opposed to several of the BMD ones).

But the bigger issue is a basic physics problem. The DIN 1.0/2.3 connectors are small, thin, and stick out from the device....

Thanks Dave. It was my experience with AJA connectors frequently sitting on backplanes (good) vs BMD connectors stuck right on the PCBs (less good) that got me thinking.... 

I hear you about the tiny size of the 1.0/2.3 connectors. I'm not a fan either. Hopefully someone at NAB (or here) can directly ask Timecode Systems what their thinking is behind using these connectors and if they're thinking of offering versions with BNC, Lemo, or something. The UltraSync One box seems cool... would love to have more confidence that it'll hold up in a rough-and-tumble field...

So anyone at NAB had a chance to chat with TCS about their new stuff and the connectors?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/04/2017 at 11:26 AM, Constantin said:


That's why they have that battery which lasts 4.5 hours

4.5hrs for lunch? I doubt I'd be capable of working after that long ;-)

 

Is it me, or did I notice that Vitec are including Timecode Systems products in their publicity for various of 'their' brands? This, to me, would suggest that they may have bought TCS?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if anyone is aware but there is a NAB show exlusive offer where you can get get two of the new UltraSync ONE units and a Wave for just £699+VAT/ $915 / €829. Here is the link to get the offer if anyone is interested: http://www.timecodesystems.com/ultrasync-one-nab-bundle/

Considering that here in the UK the Wave alone is around £600+VAT this offer is amazing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

From the official Facebook page:

COMING SOON...

We're releasing a range of additional cables to buy for the UltraSync ONE including:

- Coax to BNC
- Coax to LEMO5 (two will be available for timecode in/out)
- Coax to XLR (two will be available for timecode in/out)
- Coax to Minijack
- Coax to Minijack Y/splitter cable
- Coax to BNX converter cable

When you purchase the UltraSync ONE, you will receive two coax to BNC cables (one for timecode, one for genlock) and a USB charging cable as standard.

Keep an eye out on our Facebook and Twitter pages for more information including prices and shipping dates.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, VAS said:

From the official Facebook page:

COMING SOON...

We're releasing a range of additional cables to buy for the UltraSync ONE including:

- Coax to BNC
- Coax to LEMO5 (two will be available for timecode in/out)
- Coax to XLR (two will be available for timecode in/out)
- Coax to Minijack
- Coax to Minijack Y/splitter cable
- Coax to BNX converter cable

When you purchase the UltraSync ONE, you will receive two coax to BNC cables (one for timecode, one for genlock) and a USB charging cable as standard.

Keep an eye out on our Facebook and Twitter pages for more information including prices and shipping dates.

Not seeing any 4 pin lemos. Poor RED...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 4/20/2017 at 2:58 PM, John Blankenship said:

Someone must have convinced manufacturers that we have a burning desire to carry more and more specialty cables.

 

 

I got some of these to ease compatibility with USO's and BNC cables I already have, they work well, and are relatively inexpensive.

Nice right angle DIN connector too.....

 

Eonvic BNC female bulkhead to Right angle 1.0/2.3 DIN male RG179 SDI cable jumper pigtail 20cm

 

https://www.amazon.com/Eonvic-female-bulkhead-jumper-pigtail/dp/B01LYG69P5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504120181&sr=8-1&keywords=Eonvic+BNC+female+bulkhead+to+Right+angle+1.0%2F2.3+DIN+male+RG179+SDI+cable+jumper+pigtail+20cm

 

Scrnsht- 2017-08-30 at 20.12.46.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, pindrop said:

 

I got some of these to ease compatibility with USO's and BNC cables I already have, they work well, and are relatively inexpensive.

Nice right angle DIN connector too.....

 

Eonvic BNC female bulkhead to Right angle 1.0/2.3 DIN male RG179 SDI cable jumper pigtail 20cm

 

https://www.amazon.com/Eonvic-female-bulkhead-jumper-pigtail/dp/B01LYG69P5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504120181&sr=8-1&keywords=Eonvic+BNC+female+bulkhead+to+Right+angle+1.0%2F2.3+DIN+male+RG179+SDI+cable+jumper+pigtail+20cm

 

Scrnsht- 2017-08-30 at 20.12.46.jpg

These look great, thanks for this!

 

-Mike

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had a BlackMagic recorder with mini BNCs and they malfunctioned or broke regularly. Not the kind of connector that belongs on a camera.

I've got a Mozegear TIG28 which works great except for the lack of display. As a camera owner, I don't want more cables. The single Hirose on the Sony cameras are often used for start stop buttons on handgrips, making them unavailable for ext power. Just picked up the Betso TCX 2, which ticks all the boxes - nice display, one cable, long battery life and a simple AA batt which I have plenty of already. Looked at the UltraSync, which looked fine until I saw the Betso next to it - looks like UltraSync missed the teeny TC memo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the UltraSync has a lot of impressive features. TC and Genlock on such a small box is incredible and a display is cool, too. 

But the DIN situation is a no-go for me. They way they stick out it looks very breakable and as was mentioned you either need a whole new bunch of cables or you get the cable mentioned above plus another one for the camera end, which negates the size issue to a degree. 

Now, I only had a brief look at one today, but how do you mount that thing? The surface looks and feels like it won't really hold any sticky tape so what are you doing there? 

the buttons also look flimsy and you can actually turn it on without physically touching a button. Just squeeze the whole case and it comes on. Fine, but what about turning off? It looks like it could inadvertently be turned off while mounted on the camera. 

 

Display is cool, but it looked like it's not sunlight-viewable. 

I also don't get the whole WAVE thing. So I buy this really small TC box, but to be able to fully use it I need this huge thing in my bag or on my cart. Although I also don't really get why we need this whole wireless autosync thing anyway. 

I'm more a set and forget kinda guy. 

And don't give me precision. All of these boxes will (or should) hold perfect TC for 24 hours. What more do I need?

 

Sorry, this actually looked really interesting at first (Genlock), but there is just too much wrong with it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Constantin said:

I think the UltraSync has a lot of impressive features. TC and Genlock on such a small box is incredible and a display is cool, too. 

But the DIN situation is a no-go for me. They way they stick out it looks very breakable and as was mentioned you either need a whole new bunch of cables or you get the cable mentioned above plus another one for the camera end, which negates the size issue to a degree. 

Now, I only had a brief look at one today, but how do you mount that thing? The surface looks and feels like it won't really hold any sticky tape so what are you doing there? 

the buttons also look flimsy and you can actually turn it on without physically touching a button. Just squeeze the whole case and it comes on. Fine, but what about turning off? It looks like it could inadvertently be turned off while mounted on the camera. 

 

Display is cool, but it looked like it's not sunlight-viewable. 

I also don't get the whole WAVE thing. So I buy this really small TC box, but to be able to fully use it I need this huge thing in my bag or on my cart. Although I also don't really get why we need this whole wireless autosync thing anyway. 

I'm more a set and forget kinda guy. 

And don't give me precision. All of these boxes will (or should) hold perfect TC for 24 hours. What more do I need?

 

Sorry, this actually looked really interesting at first (Genlock), but there is just too much wrong with it

 

Yes I wasn't sure about DIN connectors never having used them before, but now I have I like them and they seem robust, and are nice to use.
I've got a whole load of cables for different cameras that have BNC male on one end so I simply got the low profile Eonvic, and it really doesn't add much at all.

The only cable I've had made so far is DIN to right angle lemo (Anglissimo) for Alexa mini. to minimise cables.

High tack self adhesive velcro just about works for attachment as the USO is so light, but there's going to be pouches soon.
Apparently using a heat gun on the glue of self adhesive velcro makes it stick well, though I haven't tried this yet. (in TCS FAQ)

It does not switch on completely if you squeeze the case, it appears to come on briefly, but shuts down again and needs an additional two quick presses on an arrow key to actually make it stay on, likewise for switching off.

Any USO can be set as a master transmitter (mode - Master TX) so you don't need the whole Wave thing.

I love wireless in addition to free run accuracy as within range (which is easily 100m) there can be no drift, no complicated tuning procedures required, which even with the best, they really needed to be tuned, for real confidence over a long day. 

If a USO goes out of range for a while it has the accuracy of any lockit style box, comes back in to range it re-slaves even tiny amounts of a frame. It works very well, especially with multiple cameras, and gives confidence, no wondering about, should we re-jam at any point in a long day?

Many camera departments have developed a taste for very small sync boxes (even demand) Tentacles (but I didn't like them), and the Ultrasync delivers far more, in a box that's pretty much the same size and as lightweight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Very good. I have a pair with the Wave as a master unit. Feeding TC from the 633, distributed by Wave and collecting metadata.

 

Not having to jam the boxes is such a breath of fresh air. Really small, really light, really good battery life, and the option of genlock. The only thing I don't like is the plasticky casing, but hopefully a case will be coming out soon before they get trashed.

 

In response to those worried about the connectors, I've not experienced any issues with them yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not jamming TC boxes is like breathing?  Sorry, that just doesn't seem like enough of a deal to replace working gear.  Small size is, but they need to get the connector thing more together to get me interested, that is a big deal.  Skinny adapter cables with BNC females on the ends are accidents waiting to happen.  For reference see RED cable 000-3....

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've replaced tentaclesync units with the USO, so the plastic minijack socket was probably as much of a risk as the DIN connectors. I was using BNC adapter cables with the tentacles and they never let me down, however I understand that a dedicated cable is more reliable. As pindrop has said, the DIN connections feel very solid and I've not had any negative experiences with them as yet. As far as the breath of fresh air aspect goes, I only meant that it's one less thing to think about. I can just power it all up and in a few seconds it's all jammed and ready to go and will stay that way all day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would still say they are better than the tentacles due to the screen and the ability to change settings without the iPhone app or extra cable etc. The DIN connector is a locking connector, so that's a bit more secure. You can also set one unit to be a master, so you only have to jam one and the others will follow. Genlock is also a plus. The battery life is shorter allegedly, but still very good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...