View From The Office:

Philip Perkins

At the 2nd show Roscoe got deeply into a circular-breathing-powered multiphonic multitone thing on his soprano sax--just wild and mind blowing.  I had the privilege of being able to solo him and hear exactly what he was doing, which was incredible.  Later when I looked at that audio in RX I could see all the pitches flying all over the place.  This gig was a scramble, but way worth it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's my view from last night - front of house at Bob Jones University's first performance of Titanic: The Musical:

IMG_1764.JPG

This is by far the most involved show I have ever run: 49 channels of wireless with a cast of 65+ and 13 wired mics on a 25 piece live orchestra in the pit.  The trailer below was shot by our internal media folks at a dress rehearsal.  The audio is essentially my front of house mix, so please excuse the large number of open mics at times.  We hired 6 professional singers for lead roles, but everyone else - cast, orchestra, crew, and designers - are students, faculty, and staff.

EDIT: The embedded video worked for me but doesn't seem to be working for some.  Here is a link that may work better:

https://www.facebook.com/bjuedu/videos/411084119653155/

On 3/14/2009 at 6:44 PM, Philip Perkins said:

The venue was the Rio Theatre, the converted old Art Deco movie theatre on Soquel Ave.  Nice folks, good sound system, no bad smells.  I used my Metacorder/MOTU rack rig, at its widest it was 18 tracks, and eventually down to 13.   I split everything I shared w/ the PA before their console, so I could record straight off the mics.  We had small DPAs clipped on the string instruments, these guys play a lot of festivals so this is a form of self-defense even though they sound kind of nasal to my ears (being on the bridge and all) but it's what they know.  Otherwise, Neumann LD for close instruments when we could get it in there,  Neumann stereo and Oktava hall mics,  a stealth CS3e to get off-mic chatter between players, the usual suspects for vocals, a stereo pair of Schoeps MK4s on one stand for surprise guest players...

Philip Perkins

Philip:

Just saw this post. Love the Rio theater! A great old Art Deco venue. Was up that way last year.

Looks like a fun gig!

-S

• 2 weeks later...

Story takes place around 1905-1909. Live-physical location at Museum of the City of Athens. We can't touch anything from museum, only some paintings (modern era); so that doors with glass behind gave my nightmares. It's the most interesting project I started as assistant sound - boom op after many years.

PS. This is going to be a television drama series, 30 episodes. We are shooting 5 pages per day so far.

Thanks to Allen Lee Williams III for the black jacket recommendation.

55803444_2076007395818613_2227076667669479424_n.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...